FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proavio boxes and raid card

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Toth
Proavio boxes and raid card
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:44:54 pm

So I have two Proavio boxes, 1 is a 10 drive SATA with eSATA out (x2) and the other is identical except it is only 8 drives. The 10 drive unit has 10x 1TB drives and the 8 drive has 8x 500GB drives.

Currently I am running them as a RAID 5/0 using the highpoint 2314 card but the performance seems so sluggish and stuttery...

My computer is a dual Xeon Dell with 24 GB ram so it is plenty fast enough and I'm running Win 7 64 bit. Editing with CS5 and a 4800 nVidia card.

My question is how to configure the drives to perform better. I have seen indications that the highpoint cards are not the best bet so any recommendations and ideas would be welcome.

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
Re: Proavio boxes and raid card
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:44:08 pm

Unfortunately there aren't too many high performance RAID cards with eSATA port-multipliers - the interface is too limiting. In other words, to get significantly better performance, you'd need to change the controller and the boxes.

Most people end up with MiniSAS for direct-attached storage if the number of drives is 8 or more.

8-bay boxes start at about $600; 16-bay - $2K. A decent controller - $700-900 (Area, ATTO, LSI).

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Paul Toth
on Apr 15, 2011 at 8:59:34 pm

Thanks Alex... so in changing out the boxes can I use the existing SATA drives? Do you have any recommendations on boxes?

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:11:10 pm

Yes you can re-use your SATA drives; the data on them is unlikely to migrate to the new setup intact - so if you have anything critical on them, back it up.

You've got a total of 18 drives, correct? 10x 1TB, 8x500GB? Would you be open to getting one 24-bay enclosure for all of them, or would you prefer to get two - an 8-bay and a 12- or a 16-bay?

I've had great results with iStoragePro (division of Ci Design) boxes in terms of quality and support - and also was impressed by Stardom SohoTank. Will be happy to do a quote for you once we zero in on a configuration.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:34:58 pm

The Stardom SOHOTANK (8 bay) ST8-U5 features a 6Gb/s backplane, we're getting sustained read/write performance of 830+ MB/s in RAID 6 with the ATTO R680 6Gb/s card with SATA drives & DV411 would be the place to buy.

Jon Schilling
Stardom Storage
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]