FORUMS: list search recent posts

Configuring RAID with ATTO R380 adaptor and Proavio EB8MS

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Clark
Configuring RAID with ATTO R380 adaptor and Proavio EB8MS
on Apr 9, 2011 at 5:17:11 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of configuring our 8 bay Proavio edit box into a RAID 6 configuration using our new R380 adaptor from Atto. Everything seems to have gone well setting this up, and it's now in the process of building the RAID. But what concerns me greatly is that there was no option anywhere to select what filesystem would be selected for my array. I want MAC OS extended journaled and this is what the current array in the box is configured as from when it was originally created by a RocketRaid 3522 card. Incidentally we're crossing over to these Attos because snow leopard and the 3522 won't play nicely and cause frequent and constant kernel panics we are now destroying this array and building a new one with the Atto card..

Anyway, as I could find no where to configure this option I went ahead and started building the RAID and am currently hoping for the best. This might sound ill advised to start such a process before finding the answer to my question but time is a factor here, it's kind of an emergency so I have to start building this now and I really hope that it's going to format the array as the filesystem I want. Is it strange to want to configure this option? Is it somehow implicit? I don't understand why it was never an option anywhere, it's not in the user manual or any online discussion or the help files or any menu items. I'll be checking in on the progress tomorrow (working all weekend ugh) and will check on this post too. Hope there's some other people holed up inside there edit suites on the weekend too who can help me.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Configuring RAID with ATTO R380 adaptor and Proavio EB8MS
on Apr 9, 2011 at 6:33:55 pm

after the RAID group is built, you still have to go do Apple Disk Utility to initialize (erase) the array, and this is where you will choose OS-X Extended (Journaled). It appears as a single disk.

You made a wise choice, and you have also seen what happens when you choose the Highpoint Rocket Raid card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

James Clark
on Apr 11, 2011 at 10:15:41 am

Thanks so much man, seems so obvious now but I was very confused. Hope you're right about the ATTO, looking forward to a card that actually works, haven't had access to this proavio for probably about 6 months now.

Return to posts index

Paul Toth
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:14:14 pm

Hey Bob,

What happens with the Highpoint? I have one now... and two Proavio boxes...

Return to posts index

James Clark
on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:22:55 pm

The highpoint (3522) has a problem specific to this exact model and snow leopard. Seemingly from the very first versions of snow leopard onwards. In the case that as we did, you have a rocket raid 3522 attached to a machine running snow leopard, kernel panics will occur at random intervals when the card is not in use, just attached and an sas volume mounted. If you actually use the volume like copying via finder the chances and frequency of kernel panics increases and if you use it for something like final cut pro or the animation programs that we run also, then kernel panics are very frequent constant events making work impossible.

As a further development, we're still not out of hell yet, the R380 card created my array without a hitch everything worked quickly and beautifully, I formatted the volume to Mac Os Extended Journaled and even copied media to and from the volume. Then I tried to stream media (open media file in quicktime) from the array, all that could display was the first frame and then on subsequent attempts you could get occasional uninterrupted playback punctuated by several second long freezes. Rebooting has seen numerous drives become unavailable in the atto configuration tool which are then apparently completely fine again on another reboot but now other drives from the array are busted also. These are 8x500GB Seagate ES 2 7200.11 drives. Atto revealed that these particular drives had had firmware issues with their card which was supposedly fixed by a firmware update from seagate SN06, but which Atto later revealed had in fact not been a fix.

Now we have some 24 useless drives but working cards whereas before we had useless cards and working drives. Fantastic.

Incidentally, though the kernel panic issue was specific to the 3522, there've also been problems with a 4322 we had attached to an ultrastor 16 bay array in which we'd created a RAID6 which has failed to rebuild after only one drive failed. Hate highpoint so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]