FORUMS: list search recent posts

can you swap enclosures?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tetamore
can you swap enclosures?
on Apr 2, 2011 at 9:37:36 pm

I have a four drive esata enclosure stiped as a simple raid that I'd like to pull the HDs and use them in a new enclosure. Can you do this while retaining your original data - remounting the original "raid"?

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com
"Crafting Visual Messages to Engage and Persuade"

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
Re: can you swap enclosures?
on Apr 2, 2011 at 10:26:24 pm

[Brian Tetamore] "I have a four drive esata enclosure stiped as a simple raid that I'd like to pull the HDs and use them in a new enclosure. Can you do this while retaining your original data - remounting the original "raid"?"

If the RAID engine (controller) remains the same - yes.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Apr 2, 2011 at 11:14:36 pm

It's a Kano Technology eSATA enclosure. So, practically speaking what does that mean? Do I need to purchase another Kano Tech drive array, or a drive array with a compatible RAID engine controller?

The reason I need to change is I no longer have access to a Mac with an eSATA card. I need a firewire 800 connection.

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 3, 2011 at 8:37:58 pm

Practically speaking you can use those drives in a new enclosure, but you will be wiping them to make a fresh RAID set out of them. You'll need to offload your data somewhere and then move it back. There is virtually no chance you would find a FW800 enclosure that would take your existing drive set and retain the data. Bottom line, the safe route is to offload and start fresh with your drives in their new home.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:44:08 pm

[Andrew Richards] " There is virtually no chance you would find a FW800 enclosure that would take your existing drive set and retain the data."

...unless the box was a JBOD striped in the OS - then all he needs to do is get a JBOD-capable box with FW800 I/O.

All we need to find out is if the drives were striped in the OS. In that case, the data is perfectly salvageable.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Apr 4, 2011 at 8:41:32 pm

Yes. the drive was striped using Mac Disk Utility.

Would it hurt to at least try to install the drives in a new enclosure to see if it mounts? And do the drives need to be installed in the same order as they were in the original enclosure?

Really appreciate the help guys.

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Apr 4, 2011 at 8:56:11 pm

[Brian Tetamore] "Yes. the drive was striped using Mac Disk Utility."

You are in great shape then.

[Brian Tetamore] "Would it hurt to at least try to install the drives in a new enclosure to see if it mounts? And do the drives need to be installed in the same order as they were in the original enclosure?"

Just make sure the new box supports JBOD (i.e. a mode of operation of no RAID of its own); the order doesn't matter.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:15:26 pm

Oops, I was jumping to a RAID-5 conclusion. Alex is right.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]