FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage Workflow for Newbie

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kesten Migdal
Storage Workflow for Newbie
on Mar 29, 2011 at 6:00:36 pm

I'm in desperate need of a storage/backup solution and I can't quite grasp what I need in the many posts I'm reading. My old setup on my MacBook when I first started getting jobs used to be an external 2TB drive which was backed up online to Mozy. I'm now topping out at 4TB of data and anticipate to have another 4TB by the end of the year. I shoot professionally, but I'm a one man show, so I'd like to keep the costs down. Here's my setup:

Mac Pro:
Internal drive w/OS: 1TB (400GB used)
2nd internal drive: 1TB (350GB used)
3rd internal drive: 3TB (1.3TB used)

These drives contain data that I need to access but I would like to have backed up. The one solution I can think of for a backup is to get a 3TB external drive and use Time Machine. I'm still screwed if my house burns down or if someone breaks in and steals my computer. I've tried unlimited online data storage solutions like Mozy, Carbonite, and LiveDrive, but the transfer speed at best is 2GB/day which doesn't work for me (I have a very fast upload speed, so the problem isn't on my end).

I also have a 2TB external drive that I need to backup and archive. The one inexpensive solution I can think of is buying another 2TB drive, mirroring the data, then storing the backup drive at my mother's house.

Can someone recommend a more intelligent method for storage and backup? Thank you so much for your help. Please correct me if I'm posting to the wrong forum.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Storage Workflow for Newbie
on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:51:53 pm

Kesten, hard drive to hard drive and mother`s house works but it`s time for something bigger both in means and from the wallet.
1. Security: An $800 Winchester safe (or mother`s house).
2. Data backup: Since a terrabyte now and then starts to add up, get a Cache- A tape backup unit. It`s external CPU turns on and off in parallel with the tape drive`s job saving a lot of electricity and keeping the realistic workload on your computer balanced. In other words, you go, it gets (instead of you go, it crashes or slows). Since you`re a newbie you didn`t have time to build a substitute from scratch to save some money but at least the Cache- A will work perfectly well. Be sure to ask some of the little questions off of the salesman as you buy the Cache- A. There`s nothing like more advice.
3. I use http://www.tapeonline.com , right there above where you are reading now, for many of my cables and storage maedia (tapes) needs. If they can handle my budget they can handle yours.
4. Tiered storage, intermediate storage on an external hard drive (or RAID) instead of wearing out the archive tapes with dire use (and clumsy habits), is sensible.

Return to posts index

Kesten Migdal
Re: Storage Workflow for Newbie
on Apr 2, 2011 at 3:05:27 am

Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]