FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProAvio Editbox meltdown!

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher White
ProAvio Editbox meltdown!
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:11:45 am

Hi, can anyone help with this?

I'm running a 7TB ProAvio RAID with the ATTO R380 SAS card. Recently I lent my card to a colleague and when i re-installed it, my RAID wouldn't mount. The card seems to see all the drives, and a full Media Scan seemed to offer up no problems. There are healthy looking green lights beside all the drives in the drive list. I attempted a re-build and after 7 hours and it failed. Why, if the drives are all healthy, will the RAID not mount, and how can I get it running again and get on with my life??!!!!

does anyone have a CLI line or something that might help with this??

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: ProAvio Editbox meltdown!
on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:10:11 pm

Chris, why did you roll a rebuild at the time? I suspect that the system was being protective from some odd dates and times settings being encountered. I don`t have your Atto card model in memory but by any chance were you using a model that has a battery and 128 MB or so of RAM that holds data in a shutdown or blackout? I could envision that a sample of the borrower`s data was in the memory if so- not matching a return to your machine until it is nulled. Unfortunately my guess is that you`ve turned the data on your drives to scrambled eggs and can now start rebuilding, starting with zeroing out the data of each drive. Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:27:36 pm

you did a "rebuild" - why - when you rebuild the array, you wipe out your information ? Why did you do that ?

You have an ATTO R380 card, right ? It showed all drives healthy (there are 8 drives in your ProAvio chassis right ?). All show healthy, nothing is off line or degraded, correct ?

In the ATTO Config Tool, under the RAID tab (this is how you see your drives), you simply highlight your RAID group, (which says online), and click on AUTOMAP, and your drives mount on the desktop.

You may have screwed yourself if you rebuilt your RAID array.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Christopher White
on Mar 31, 2011 at 1:12:01 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply.

In fact, while there were no problems identified by the Media Scan, the status of the RAID was listed as Degraded. I have 7x 1TB Seagate Constellation ES drives in my Raid, setup at RAID5.

I was told by ATTO tech support that one of my drives had failed months before, and for some reason another of the drives briefly went offline and then came back on again, which probably caused the failure - but I'm at a loss to explain why it had been working perfectly well one day then completely offline the next...

I have now rebuilt the RAID (at RAID6 this time!!) because 95% of the data was backed up anyway - but if you think you could shed some light on what may have gone wrong that would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:19:22 am

Seagate drives time out, and report an error (degraded), while all the drives appear ok.
This is why ATTO stresses to use only Hitachi Enterprise series drives. I suffered thru this with
Seagate drives at a huge video game company - I learned my lesson.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:43:36 pm

Chris, there`s one thing you can try:
-Get a set of borrowed hard drives that you may zero- out the data on for the test. Zero- out each one and put them in. Do a regular install and start using them. If the RAID fails this then something`s wrong with the RAID. Maybe a cable, maybe the card, maybe an adjustment, or the computer doesn`t see the card. Obviously if something`s wrong with the RAID not the hard drives then maybe your old hard drives didn`t progress through the 2 steps of turning their data to scrambled eggs and you might be able to nurse them to back up (just transfer) their data onto the usual tapes or DVDs or spare hard drive. If hard drives are failing, try, -putting them on their backs such that the magnetic side is plainly warm but the electronic controller cards on them get cooled by a fan. - trade power supplies and connectors so that the difference in power supply voltage on the (5 and 12 volts and on new SATA drives sometimes a 3 volts too) get nudged upward and downward a percent or two and make the failing drives want to grab. - try turning off hard drives SMART in your computer setup bios or the card to ignore minor failure warnings.
You can try all 3 tricks at the same time if you want. It isn`t a tricky fumbler.
It`s also possible to buy a spare hard drive electronic card from DRIVE SOLUTIONS in California and see if a failed hard drive can be rescued with it.
Other than that, I`d buy a fresh set of Hitachis if I were you.

Return to posts index

Christopher White
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:50:41 pm

Thanks all for the help and advice - I've initialised all the drives and rebuilt the RAID at RAID6 and it's working fine - I know that my card is working properly, so I think Bob and Fred must right about the Seagate drives (in fact, I've had notices from my RAID controller several times before saying the RAID is offline, even though I've never had media go offline in FCP when this has happened!)

Looks like I'll have to save my pennies for 8 new hitachi drives...

Thanks all once again!

Cheers,

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]