FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 6 Best?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
RAID 6 Best?
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:35:06 am

Im working at a company at the moment who uses an 8TB NAS RAID. It is RAID 6. (We are a video editing company). The data on the RAID is very important, which is why I think they originally went with RAID (for the parity striping etc). However, will this slow everything down> Just reading up about RAID 6 and it apparently doesn't offer that many advantages, but DOES slow the system down a fair bit because if the amount of algorithms RAID6 needs. What would you guys suggest is the best for an 8TB (8 HDDs) RAID for video editing?
Thanks!

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: RAID 6 Best? STARDOM ST8-U5 for the price, great choice.
on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:17:06 pm

Tom,

Our STARDOM ST8-U5 (8 bay mini-SAS) DAS with a ATTO R680 card will give you 700MB/s Read/Write Speeds in RAID 6. While it's not a cheap solution, it's more cost effective than others out there & is field proven, with end users such as NBC using it. The beauty of the ATTO R680 card is you won't lose much speed if a drive fails and you need to rebuild.

It seems like you've done some research on RAID 6. We take it you're editing in Final Cut Pro?

RAID 6 is the best choice when editing, (when you have the capacity to do so). Always get more capacity Larger drives than you think you'll use, trust me.

With RAID 5 if you have a drive fail and a 2nd drive fails in the rebuild process, you'll lose the whole array in RAID 5.

In RAID 6 you can have 2 drives fail and still be protected.

http://silverado.cc/shop/product.php?productid=1440 sells it as a turnkey ST8-U5 (mini-SAS) with an ATTO R380 card & drives.

Jon Schilling | Sales & Marketing
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
Re: RAID 6 Best?
on Mar 7, 2011 at 8:47:17 pm

Jon's suggestion is right on the spot - but it will mean you'd have do get a Mac Pro. I don't believe you can attach anything MiniSAS to an iMac.

Jon: what would you recommend for an iMac, outside of getting a Mac Pro?

Thomas: does it have to network-attached, or can attach directly to your iMac? Are there any other editors (client computers) accessing the same footage and projects from NAS?

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:39:15 pm

Alex,

I didn't catch the "iMac" part, that does change things. If he wants/needs appreciable speed in RAID 6 there aren't many options. We do have a 5 bay with RAID 6, but with FireWire 800 speeds it'd still be too slow to edit uncompressed HD. Maybe Bob Z or someone else has a suggestion.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:05:19 pm

Judging from Thomas' posts, the only option for him (short of getting a Mac Pro) is a decent FW800 HD for local editing - then he could transfer the project or the output file to NAS if needed.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: AID 6 Best?
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:09:56 pm

Cheers guys, but this situation is for a couple of Mac pros actually! Forgot to mention that sorry!

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:43:42 pm

Thomas,

Great, then my suggestion would be applicable! Not sure if Alex at DV411 would send you a STARDOM ST8-U5 with an ATTO card to the UK, but anything's possible.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Mar 11, 2011 at 9:13:22 am

Thomas, did you by any chance receive my direct email? I think I sent it on Monday.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:48:47 am

Thats odd, Im fairly sure I didnt sorry! Perhaps try again?

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Mar 12, 2011 at 2:58:29 am

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "Thats odd, Im fairly sure I didnt sorry! Perhaps try again?"

It's info @ (the domain name in your sig block), right? Just sent it again.

Is there any way to send a private message via this forum? I've tried and couldn't find a way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]