FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro SAS Card

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Gish
MacBook Pro SAS Card
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:15:27 pm

Is there such a thing as an express card that connects to SAS? I have a tape drive that I'd like to connect to a MacBook Pro in the field (rather than bringing a tower with me).

I've also seen SAS to eSATA splitter cables (I think 4 eSATA connections) but I'm assuming that I won't be able to connect an SAS device to it and use an eSATA express card to see the drive (I know it would be much slower even if it did work - and that would be fine if it was possible but I'm assuming it wouldn't work).

Any thoughts? Maybe a thunderbolt to SAS adapter in the future ;)

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
Re: MacBook Pro SAS Card
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:32:59 pm

The best solution I've found so far would be this: http://www.magma.com/expressbox1.asp coupled with an ATTO SAS card (which I already own - H680)

Anyone have experience with this sort of setup or know of a less expensive alternative? (Not that this is THAT expensive for what I'm trying to do but if I can save a buck and it'll work then I'd rather go that direction).

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:35:39 pm

The ones that I know are not controller cards, but rather bridge cards that are made by manufacturers of specific RAIDs with built-in controllers on-board. I'm thinking you should contact the manufacturer of your tape drive for their solution.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:53:26 pm

[Shaun Gish] "Is there such a thing as an express card that connects to SAS? I have a tape drive that I'd like to connect to a MacBook Pro in the field (rather than bringing a tower with me)."

What's the connector on the tape drive? Most likely it's external MiniSAS SFF-8088 port, and I haven't been able to find an ExpressCard-to-SAS adapter, so the PCIe extender solution from Magma (or a similar one) may be the only choice.

There is also one from StarTech for a bit less money; a matching ExpressCard adapter.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
on Mar 5, 2011 at 11:25:21 pm

Thanks for the alternative product. Ultimately I'll probably end up buying both the Magma and the StarTech model (I need a more portable solution but the 4 card option for the price point is very attractive).

I'll let you guys know how well they work (not that very many people will need an express to SAS type setup with thunderbolt being all the rage...)

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]