FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for storage solution please

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Eaks
Advice for storage solution please
on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:15:38 pm

I have been in need of a "real" storage solution for a while now and I look to the COW for advice. My thought has been to buy/build a RAID 5 Array, sooner or later. I haven't done all the research that I would like to but the time has come to BUY NOW. I'm shooting for 8TB and a $1000-$1500 budget.

The pressing issue is that I have a shoot coming up, it's 3 consecutive 8-hour day's (with 3 breaks) of seminar/presentation/demonstration. By my calculations this will be about 1.4TB of Prores 1080i, plus backing up the 32GB SDHC cards from 2 cameras. This 8-hour recording scenario is NOT a common occurrence for me, my hope is to solve my editing storage needs but be able to take this new storage on the road with me for just this one job. I'm looking at the Lacie 8TB 4Big right now with an itchy "checkout finger".
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624484-REG/LaCie_301435U_8TB_4big_Qua...

Since I will be capturing the live footage in Prores 1080i with my i7 17" MBP through Matrox MX02 LE, as I have been doing successfully for some time now, my new storage needs FW 800 (if no FW 800, the Mac pro has to go on the road. I would like to avoid this). My main concern is having plenty of fast, reliable, redundant storage for editing Prores 1080i on the Mac Pro, not portability. Thus my hesitation on the LaCie, I don't want to use FW 800 for connecting to the main system. There is the option of SATA to eSATA- http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

My current storage situation:

Internal (Mac Pro)-

1- 320GB system drive (stock w/ Mac Pro purchase, looking to replace it with SSD in the not-too-distant future)

2- 1TB WD Caviar Black 64mb cache (RAID 0)

1- 1TB WD Caviar Black 64mb cache (the matching 3 WD's will be one RAID 0 soon)

1- 1TB WD Caviar Black 32mb cache (not installed)

Internal (Macbook Pro)

500GB (looking to replace the optical drive with a second HDD, good/bad idea?)

External-

2- 1TB LaCie D2 Quadra (RAID 0)

1- 500GB LaCie D2 Quadra

2- 2TB WD Elements for Time Machine back-up at end of day (RAID 0)
($60ea last Black Friday, wish I bought like 5 just to have)

As you can see, this setup isn't exactly elegant. My plan was to build a RAID 5 Array, browsing COW posts and online stores has me indecisive and overwhelmed to say the least. The Lacie 4Big seems like a good, easy solution...

I guess I'm just looking for "Your good to go, buy the LaCie" or "Don't buy that, this is a way better solution for your needs/budget, Link-".

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Advice for storage solution please
on Feb 15, 2011 at 12:48:46 am

Well, I just saw the new LaCie 12TB 4big for $1500. It almost seems too good to be true. Should I be wary of the new 3TB drives for any reason?

I'll pull the trigger on this in the next couple day's, provided that nobody recommends a better solution for my needs and budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753279-REG/LaCie_301562U_12TB_4BIG_QU...

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Advice for storage solution please
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:42:46 pm

Hitachi just started shipping 3TB Enterprise class drives, I wouldn't use anything other than an enterprise class drive in any RAID product.

Jon Schilling

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]