FORUMS: list search recent posts

Our DIY attempt to replace a ProMax SATAMAX 5 bay array worked the 1st time..But now canʻt get another to mount.

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Kerstein
Our DIY attempt to replace a ProMax SATAMAX 5 bay array worked the 1st time..But now canʻt get another to mount.
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:17:04 pm

We are having a continuing issue of power supplies in our SATAMAX drives failing. The first time around we decided to buy a Athena Power AP-U1ATX40 from newegg. We stripped off the housing, and had to solder a ground loop. But it worked and we were pleased that we had a doable work flow that would work with other power supplies that were starting to fail..and they did. But after taking the same steps to rebuild another dead array. The green LED lights come on one at a time much slower and it never mounts. Also when I place my hand on top of the cabinet of a working drive, I feel a slight vibration like they are spinning.I do not feel a vibration on the drive cabinet that we just re-built. Disc utility does not see it. We have troubleshooted the scenario of the SATA communication card being bumped in the whole process of cramming cables & array of connections back into the cabinet. So we swapped that out from a working drive..no luck. We suspect that wire pair that we chose to ground loop is the wrong set causing the improper voltage needed to spin up the drives.
I know most of you will want to exclaim.."Just buy a Dulce,Cal Digit or G-speed!" and get more storage for a lot less then we paid for this SATAMAX. But times are tight and we have told to try to salvage these.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Matt
Quad Core Power PC OS 10.5.8
Kona LHe 6.0.1
Sonnet Tempo SATA E4P

Aloha & Mahalo from Maui

Return to posts index

Matt Kerstein
Re: Our DIY attempt to replace a ProMax SATAMAX 5 bay array worked the 1st time..But now canʻt get another to mount.
on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:39:54 pm

Nevermind..Got it..It was a voltage issue.

Aloha & Mahalo from Maui

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Our DIY attempt to replace a ProMax SATAMAX 5 bay array worked the 1st time. But now can`t get another to mount.
on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:16:41 pm

Matt, years ago I bought a Harvy Wells Bandmaster TBS-50A transmitter at a flea market. - Opened the cabinet. A little 807 beam tetrode modulated by 6L6Gs. - Built a 75 watt power supply for it. Smoked the power supply in 5 minutes. It wasn`t 75 watts. Built other bigger power supplies. The TBS-50A continued to melt down power supplies for the next couple of nights with collosal plate currents like the little UX-210 tube that COULD. I built a power supply with a Dumont TV transformer. That one survived almost a whole evenning, almost. I next built a power supply with a transformer from a Philco console radio. It held up.
Moral, if the power supply can`t push it, believe it. (Yes, measuring voltages helps). Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]