FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal RAID Card Recommendation (or not)?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Hahn
Internal RAID Card Recommendation (or not)?
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:08:42 am

Hello,

This is my first post so please forgive my ignorance and lack of knowledge. I am just finishing up my first build and trying to figure out the best RAID / HDD setup keeping it all internal for cost reasons (for now). I have read back and tried to utilize previous posts however I was unsuccessful finding the post that best fit my needs. I’m sure it exists.

My current build:
Intel i7-950
12GB RAM
ASUS P6X58D-E
GTX-470 (utilizing GPU-accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine)
HAF-X
Win 7 Pro x64
Premiere Pro CS5
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
*Additional HDDs to be purchased

The motherboard supports 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports, AND 6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports. Motherboard is also equipped with Marvell 9128 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller AND the Intel ICH10R controller.

My thoughts and question:
I read and liked a post back in July 2010 where a member suggested the following:
1 x HDD (possibly a SSD): C: - contains your operating system and programs
2 x HDD (RAID 1 mirror): G: - contains your video captures/project files
2 x HDD (RAID 0 stripe): H: - contains your output files

This seems to be a good internal option? To do this I think I’m lacking a RAID controller card.
Can anyone recommend a low price and reliable card?
Or, am I in disarray… and there is a better solution to keep costs down?

Thanks for the feedback,
Frank

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Internal RAID Card Recommendation (or not)?
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:33:55 pm

Not sure what type of video you will be editing, but you will most likely want to just RAID-0 those video/output drives all together and figure out a backup solution. RAID-1 for video will be pretty slow, especially write speed.
You could always hook them up to your internal SATA ports you have and stripe them there and see what speed you get - it may be fast enough depending on what files you are working with, but a RAID card will most likely give you better results.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]