FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going from Highpoint to something else help

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brill
Going from Highpoint to something else help
on Mar 21, 2010 at 6:34:29 pm

I built an 8TB RAID 5 with a RR4322 a bit back and have found it to not be what I expected in terms of customer support or stability. There was a freak failure I think if not a kernel panic and then an inability to rebuild or even recreate a new RAID of any sort without another kernel panic.

The card was finally RMA'd and if it works when I pop it in tomorrow I may keep it but I'm strongly leaning towards selling it. At this point however I haven't really found a replacement that is both around the same specs and compatible with Mac OS X. I know about the ATTO R380 and have them at the facility I work at for our Sonnet RAIDs but I'm not really floored by the performance and the price is a big factor.

Any other cards that are like the RR4322 and ATTO R380 but perhaps fall between the price range?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Going from Highpoint to something else help
on Mar 21, 2010 at 8:11:31 pm

there are two types of modern RAID cards - eSATA cards (some which are port multipler cards, meaning that each port can do up to 5 drives), and SAS/SATA cards.

Companies like Sonnet, Cal Digit, Dulce Systems, Firmtek, DatOptic, Addonics, and others make "port multiplier" eSATA cards. These all use the same chip set, based on Sil3124 Silicon Image chips (the guys who figured out port multiplication for eSATA in the first place). This is standard eSATA, and is considered "old school" by now. Highpoint makes these too.

Then you have modern SAS/SATA RAID 5 (or RAID6) host cards. These cards are all MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, and require a different interface style to your drive array - it's called miniSAS, and has got nothing to do with the old style eSATA drive arrays. This means that if you have a Cal Digit S2VR or Sonnet Fusion chassis, these new style cards WILL NOT WORK on your old drive chassis.

The companies that make the new style, more advanced SAS/SATA host adaptor cards are ATTO, Areca, LSI Logic and Highpoint. So, can you get an adaptor cable to use one of these new cards, with your old style chassis - NO, you cannot.

In my opinion, the ATTO is the best card. Sonnet's new drive chassis use the ATTO R380. So does AVID, so does Maxx Digital, so does JMR. Dulce Systems uses the Areca series - another excellent card. The LSI Logic card is not popular, and I have only seen it packaged with Quantum DLT drive arrays. I have never seen anyone use an LSI Logic SAS/SATA card for a drive array in the video business. And then, of course, there is Highpoint.

So, does the ATTO and Areca cards cost a lot more money than say a Sonnet E4P, or Cal Digit Fasta 4e. YES IT DOES. But they are dramatically better products. Cal Digit also makes a very nice modern SAS/SATA RAID card for their drive arrays (like the HD Element product), but this too will not work with your old
eSATA drive box.

Unfortunately, products like these become obsolete every few years, and everyone (including me) cries on a regular basis - "but I don't want to buy a new array, I just want to buy a new host controller card".

You aint' gonna get a nice RAID 5 card for an eSATA array. Highpoint is where it stops. Cal Digit and Sonnet make much better and easier to use RAID 0 cards for eSATA arrays.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Mar 21, 2010 at 8:18:43 pm

I have my drives in an Enhance 8MS so I should be fine on the SAS front correct??

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2010 at 1:42:42 am

http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/desktop/E8_Series.html

do you have this ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Mar 22, 2010 at 2:02:21 am

Yes the E8-MS with SF 8088 on both ends wires. This is good right?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:15:57 pm

yes - this is good.
Why don't you contact Enhance Technology, that makes your chassis. Ask them if they advise you to use the ATTO R380 or Areca card.
I don't know if you are using a split buss or a single buss in this chassis - but Enhance will be able to answer this for you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:08:06 pm

James, did you get an answer from Enhance? I have the ProAvio 8MS Mini-SAS (which is basically the same company/enclosure) and also have the Highpoint 4322. I'd love to hear which card they suggested you switch to. No problems (yet) with my highpoint card, but I'd rather abandon ship before I hit the iceberg, so to speak.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:36:20 am

It is split bus. They said the Areca 1680 would work as well. I think they are mainly pro Rocketraid. The card I just got from the RMA is on ebay and if it doesn't sell I'm gonna try and re install it and hopefully recreate my RAID. If that doesn't work then I am screwed

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:57:46 am

Got the card and it didn't sell on ebay so I tried to create a RAID again with it. It fails when initializing a RAID 5 and the RAID 0 stripes and gets formatted by OS X but the cards freezes after a bit of transferring. Ugh!

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:54:24 pm

Have you swapped out cables? I've had issues with cables/connectors causing similar RAID issues. Now that is the very first thing I try unless it is an obvious problem.
TC

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Apr 1, 2010 at 5:46:09 pm

Really? I knew playing with the cables helped but getting a different brand?

I have tried to get them as straight as possible and not touching any other wires and still no go. Perhaps I'll try a bit more.

Return to posts index

s regian
on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:17:14 pm

What firmware are you using with the RR? My Enhance box with the 4322 will not mount the first time I boot... but shows up on reboot.

Return to posts index

Cuong Quach
Re: Going from Highpoint to something else
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:00:38 pm

Quote:
" You aint' gonna get a nice RAID 5 card for an eSATA array. Highpoint is where it stops. Cal Digit and Sonnet make much better and easier to use RAID 0 cards for eSATA arrays..."

That is not true!

There is a eBOX-R5 a hardware raid5 five drive base on PM technology featuring
- NO drivers required
- Fully support HDD greater than 2.0TB
- Email notification

With 2x internal SATA in MAC PRO (behind the fan) coupling with SATA to eSATA bracket including the eBOX-R5.

Within couples minutes, you can create a RAID50 (up to 16TB).
Fully data protected that can read and write 440MB/s to 490MB/s

Look harder then you will find the solution

Return to posts index

James Brill
It's over!
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:02:45 pm

So Enhance Tech took care of everything for me! I sent them my whole RAID though, card, cables, chassis with drives but they took care of everything from there. They figured out that my chassis wasn't clicking with my card due to a generation thing between new card and an old chassis. Since newegg doesn't push many SAS enclosures the one I got from there was old. Anyways Enhance was great and emailed me multiple times a day from a real person with updates. I'm still mad at Highpoint but hey Enhance gives beyond great service so no need to talk to HPT ever again.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: It's over!
on May 5, 2010 at 11:02:04 am

Wow. That's good to know. I have one of their boxes. When I bought it the sales guy was very informed and helpful, too. They recommended a Highpoint card then also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]