FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive/FCP7

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martha Kelley
Hard Drive/FCP7
on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:11:08 pm

Can anyone suggest the best external hard drive that is most compatible with FCP7? Thanks for you input!

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Hard Drive/FCP7
on Jan 29, 2011 at 12:51:48 am

Hey Martha.

What kind of machine do you have? What kind of codec you using? What is the final product? How long is the footage? Your answers will determine the best possible answer.

Jon Schilling

Return to posts index

Martha Kelley
on Jan 29, 2011 at 1:04:44 am

I have the mac 27 inch quad core with FCP 7. I edit a local weekly TV show plus do various other editing jobs. Have to import the raw footage, edit and export the various shows. Also must keep the edited shows close at hand to archive them or recompile them for later shows. The Lacie hard drive I've got is failing and I have to save what files I can and transfer them to a fresh hard drive. So I'm bummed on Lacie. Also read poor reviews about Western Digital My Book with whispers of compatibility issues with FCP. I've found Iomega Ultramax model 33959 and Iomega eGo Desktop. These have gotten the best reviews so far but wondering if you have a better suggestion. Thanks for taking the time!

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jan 29, 2011 at 2:25:15 am

Martha,

No problem, were here to help.

More questions.. What kind of LaCie drive did you have? (this will give me a better idea of the speed you need, throughput). What was it's capacity? What's your budget like?

Jon

Return to posts index

Martha Kelley
on Jan 31, 2011 at 6:42:46 pm

Hi Jon,
The Lacie was 1TB Firewire 800 7200 RPM.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jan 31, 2011 at 6:57:53 pm

Martha.

We have a JBOD (just a bunch of disks) 2 bay product that you can back up your 1st drive to a second manually, that's relatively inexpensive & can be populated with your own hard drives: http://www.raidon-usa.com/stardom/sohotank_st2_feature.html or we have a RAID 1 product (SOHORAID SR2) that will automatically back up 1 drive on the other:
http://www.raidon-usa.com/stardom/sohoraid_sr2_feature.html the RAID 1 product won't be as fast as the Lacie product you have though as it's backing up on a 2nd drive. There are of course many products out there that do a many things (different RAID levels, different interfaces) it all depends on what kind of speed you want, what kind of capacity you need & what kind of protection of the drives you're looking for.

You're more than welcome to contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

Jonathan Schilling
RAIDON-USA Technology, Inc.
STARDOM Storage Solutions by RAIDON
Tel: 626-333-7888 X121

The STARDOM ST8-U5 Validated for use in Uncompressed HD Video by Blackmagic Design
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=62

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]