FORUMS: list search recent posts

WD Backup drive software

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Toby
WD Backup drive software
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:20:01 pm

Hey guys,

I'm an editor working of a WD My Book drive, and i have another identical drive plugged into that that i'd like to use as a backup. Ie - work off drive A, backup drive A on drive B.

WD Smartware however only offers a backup of your computer harddisk - not external drives to external drive.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for software that will allow me to to just backup between external drives? MediaMover FCP comes up a lot when i google search however, strangely, i can't find where to buy it and the demo is really limited.

Thanks
Amelia

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: WD Backup drive software
on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:37:47 pm

Since you mentioned MediaMover FCP, I assume you're on a Mac?

Try ChronoSync [link] from econ. It's my favorite sync tool on the Mac platform.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Amy Toby
on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:03:02 pm

Yeah im on a mac - thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:00:22 pm

If all you really want to do is "clone" Drive A to Drive B (make an exact copy), then you might consider the free Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac. http://www.bombich.com/ While I absolutely love ChronoSync, for simple jobs, you can't beat CCC's price (free) and it's really reliable.

If you want to do more complicated things -- like make versioned backup copies when files are deleted or overwritten, target specific folders on your drive with different backups compared to other folders, or make multiple copies of backups including some that go to a networked drive or server -- I'd go with ChronoSync.

Return to posts index

Amy Toby
on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:24:07 pm

thanks im going to give this a try and will write back with how i go, seems simple and really easy to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]