Recommendation on ARC-5040 please

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Berhoff
Recommendation on ARC-5040 please
on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:05:16 am

Has anyone used one of these: Areca Raid ARC-5040

http://www.arecaraid.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=58

I have an iMac i7 and after further research I found out about the Jumbo Frame issue.

I'm looking for a large raid to host a very large music, photo and video library.

My plan is to access it from my computer via the FW800. Using it to edit with FCP and store raw and finished projects. I also will have my aperture library hosted and accessed the same way.

Then at the same time I have a MAC core Duo that is in another room that I would like to connect to this via iscsi. This other mac will mainly be accessing the shared music and photos.

Does this make sense? Will this work? Any suggestion would be great!

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Recommendation on ARC-5040 please
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:18:27 pm

Since it has -zillions- of hook up methods, can run RAID 1 to mention, with ease, and can run on only one hard drive if you turn poor someday, it doesn`t sound too bad. (I didn`t check the OS types). It seems nicely maintainable. Remember to use actual backup though.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 24, 2011 at 1:39:05 pm

[Barry Berhoff] "I'm looking for a large raid to host a very large music, photo and video library. My plan is to access it from my computer via the FW800... Then at the same time I have a MAC core Duo that is in another room that I would like to connect to this via iscsi."

You won't be able to share the same volume on two different machines this way.

What you're proposing is kind of like trying to share a single external drive on two computers by plugging them both in with Firewire at the same time -- there's nothing to play traffic cop and regulate how each machine accesses the disk or writes to the volume.

You could attach the RAID array via FW800 to the FCP machine (as you've proposed above) and use standard file-sharing over your network to get at the music and photos from the second machine, but you may run into performance limitations pretty quickly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kyle Lodge
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:13:02 am

Hey Barry,
Contact me privately at kylehb56@yahoo.com and I can without a doubt get you pointed in the right direction. Running a single volume on two separate systems at the same is definitely possible but doesn't quite work the way you would expect. Be great to speak with you.

Cheers

Kyle Lodge

Return to posts index

alius sato
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:49:33 pm

if you need to share with two boxes maybe it's doable with the iSCSI / nas -type hookups - i'm not enough of an IP storage guy to know.

i'm using the 4-bay areca box that's much like this, save for the iSCSI. mainly happy with it. on the 8 bay one - i've read a german review complaining about disappointing throughput speeds. but then if you're planning to use firewire and/or iSCSI, the hookup is going to be the link on the chain throttling your speed anyway.

likely the best raid boxes now are the caldigit ones, but to get the full benefit you need a miniSAS hookup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]