FORUMS: list search recent posts

replacing the Xserve Raid...

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Eterem
replacing the Xserve Raid...
on Apr 14, 2010 at 10:20:38 pm

Hi!

Would one Promise Vtrack 16TB be faster than 10TB 4x Xraid (2x Xraid + 2x Xraid, all 8 controllers Raid5) alone?

Or do I need two Promise Vtrack and in the future maybe add a expansion chassis for more speed and storage… or would the new 32TB be enough alone?

What we have today is 3xQlogic switches with one fiber to each system, 14 systems working with dv/xdcamHD and 3 systems working with xdcamHD/2K-ProResHQ/4K R3D.....

What would be the best replacement for this existing setup and also thinking of having a setup that will last 3-4 years…?

/V

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: replacing the Xserve Raid...
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:20:37 am

forget Promise -
use Active Storage, which will just plug right in .

Why is having an "Apple Certified" solution so important to you ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Victor Eterem
on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:57:43 am

Yeah, I was just reading about that! Guess I didn´t do my homework : )

For me it is not at all important to have an Apple Certified solution, I´m not and expert on san setup, but the management of the active storage looks great! ..it might be an issue, since we are an authorized training center, but maybe not...I´ll have to figure that one out!

I feel our Xraid-san is a ticking bomb and we have to think about replacing it soon.. So more people are going for the active storage to day?

From what I have understod the team behind the Active Storage is the same people who developed xraid and that they have great support.
So it would be really stupid in 2010 to go with the promise then?

I´ll have to learn more about Active Storage I think!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:36:23 pm

contact Jordan Woods at Active, or on the Active forum on Creative Cow. Its real easy - drives are drives - it's all about support. Active Storage has the best support - Promise support is simply not good - if you get into trouble, do you actually think that Apple is going to help you with a Promise drive array ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:22:46 pm

Hey Victor, I just wanted to second the motion for Active Storage. I was in almost your same position a little over a year ago -- nervous about a SAN made up of four Apple Xserve RAIDs (and some Promise gear that we bought when the Xserve RAID was initially discontinued in 2008).

We bought two Active Xraid dual-controller boxes, and our SAN actually got much faster. And, I do not miss having to deal with the Promise gear -- which I have since given away to another department. Both Active's products and support are excellent.

As for the math, I've always been told to budget 80 MB/s per controller in an Xsan for those old Apple Xserve RAIDs. So, if you have four (eight controllers), 80 X 8 = 640MB/s. While you could theoretically get this kind of bandwidth out of a single Active box, we went for two and have been very happy with the big speed jump. If you can swing the budget, I'd suggest two.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:08:45 am

At NAB, Active announced a new product called "Interpool", which off-loads the meta data lun requirements to a separate card, thereby freeing up your storage to be, well, just STORAGE, and not metadata.

Check it out. http://www.getactivestorage.com/pr041210-1.php

As far as I can tell, there is NO OTHER storage maker out there using this concept. (I think they patented it.) In addition, Active has some very cool "monitoring" programs available now for your iPhone, and in the future, for your iPAD. Again, I know of no other storage maker that has that.

We've had Active boxes up and running for almost two years now, and no problems whatsoever.

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]