FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use volume mode on raid set up or not??

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Stoltz
Use volume mode on raid set up or not??
on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:11:41 pm

Hey All

I use a 2 drive housing Sans Digital enclosure. I have 2 1TB drives in there using it in a raid 0 setup

Now the settings on the housing itself give me the option to use the enclosure as a 2 TB "Volume" drive or just using it as a 2TB drive.

What is the "Volume" referring to? Is it better to use your drives in a raid volume mode

Please help

thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Use volume mode on raid set up or not??
on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:32:22 pm

Make a really small (~40 GB or smaller) partition on each and test for yourself. Then you can zero out past the partitions and use your own best result.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:49:54 pm

Fred

thanks for your response but Im really not sure what you mean --can you explain a little more -especially zero out past the partitions -

you kinda lost me there

matt

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:44:50 am

Instead of having to swap to a spare set of work hard drives every time you want to test "volumes setups", a new tweak in your software, or whatever, have 2 per cent of each drive, after the main partition, set up as a test partition to test something. When you are done, wipe out the test such as deleting folders, or reach for a software utility to delete and zero out the test partition (on each work drive) and then make new ones (test partitions).

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:00:18 am

Whoa, Matt. It looks like you should ask the manufacturer or seller of the drives what this volumes stuff is. Sometimes the manufacturers give us too few instructions. Other times I think they`re writing exciting and different chapters about as fast as Rudyard Kipling would.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]