FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID- any benefit to having multiple RAID arrays?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Will
RAID- any benefit to having multiple RAID arrays?
on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:09:40 pm

Hello- I am new to the forum but not new the Cow. I think this would be the best place to pose the question- I am building a system and I wonder what is the best way to configure the storage for fastest rendering and editing.

my system:
Windows 7 pro 64
Sony Vegas HD Studio Platinum 10
i7 950 processor
6GB triple channel memory
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 X58 motherboard

I wonder what is the fastest RAID configuration. I currently have a two drive RAID0 for my C drive where I store the programs. I have 2 additional drives in the system.

Would it be best to have one large RAID0 or RAID5 (I will buy new drives) or would it be better to have one RAID0 array for the OS and another RAID0 array for project files?

is there any benefit to having two RAID0 arrays on a system?

I know I should be upgrading to a 64 but editing suite but that will come down the road. This system is literally 10x faster that what I was editing before.

I am using the RAID controller on the motherboard. Should I be using a different RAID controller?

Thanks in advance. If my idea of having multiple RAID0 arrays is crazy, just let me know- wouldn't be the first time. I guess I just don't understand RAID enough yet.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: RAID- any benefit to having multiple RAID arrays?
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:05:02 pm

Sure. I can see having 2 RAID-0 arrays on one PC. You will get faster performance, but you need to have a back-up plan in place and back up religiously. One drive goes in a RAID-0 and you lose everything on the RAID. RAID-5 will give you some piece of mind, but it does come with it's own faults - read about Unrecoverable Read Errors in RAID-5 (URE).
Best bet would be to get an external RAID array for your media. That will keep the heat down inside your PC case and give you the speed that you will want - 600MB/s +. Many will do RAID-5/6.
TC

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Dec 23, 2010 at 11:31:20 pm

Just don`t hike any shortcuts through any cattle herds doing it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 24, 2010 at 5:14:37 pm

[Todd Perchert] "Sure. I can see having 2 RAID-0 arrays on one PC. You will get faster performance"

Not so Todd - the more drives one stripes together into a single volume the faster the array. Issac's current two 2-drive RAIDs would have nearly twice the throughput if they were striped as a 4-drive array in a RAID-0 configuration.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:15:57 pm

Correct David. With the current number of drives he has (4, which includes the system drive), but I wouldn't suggest striping them all together and putting the OS and Programs on with the media.
TC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:29:20 pm

[Todd Perchert] "I wouldn't suggest striping them all together and putting the OS and Programs on with the media."

Nor would I, but I also would not advise him to create a second raid as a virtual system drive system. That's just a waste of space and speed. He'd be much better off striping three drives together at raid 0 and leaving the OS and apps on a single drive.

On the other hand, if he can type or edit at the speed of light I could possibly be persuaded otherwise. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:52:13 pm

Agreed. Wipe out system drive - start from scratch. And get an external array for media if you want the best performance.
TC

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:44:12 pm

(My comment below David`s).
by David Roth Weiss on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:29:20 am

[Todd Perchert] "I wouldn't suggest striping them all together and putting the OS and Programs on with the media."

Nor would I, but I also would not advise him to create a second raid as a virtual system drive system. That's just a waste of space and speed. He'd be much better off striping three drives together at raid 0 and leaving the OS and apps on a single drive.

On the other hand, if he can type or edit at the speed of light I could possibly be persuaded otherwise. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

This is a moment of changing the topic which is why I`m burying my comment below David`s. David, do you see any Production /Post places in your area retiring and leaving behind nice equipment? Nothing here. Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:59:24 pm

[Fred Jodry] "do you see any Production /Post places in your area retiring and leaving behind nice equipment?"

Hey Fred!

I wish there were Alexa cameras, really fast MacPros, and huge RAIDs being put out for the trash collector all over Hollywood, but so far I haven't run across that just yet. However, in this economy you never know what's coming next.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:31:56 am

Thanks David, I use formats older than that. My enthusiasm for the Alexa has always been so others in the industry wouldn`t lose their jobs. When I open the newspaper and see that one or two stations have closed their door for good this morning and 50 or 100 people lost their jobs, that`s disgusting. I wish I could take their antenna towers to the next station that needs one.

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Jan 15, 2011 at 11:41:38 pm

1. If speed on your startup volume is an issue, buy a single SSD for it.
2. What kind of raid controller does your system have? If you have a single drive as your OS, can you still have a 4-drive raid 5? I wouldn't do RAID 0 for production unless you have realtime backups or your work is amateur only with no money involved.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:22:32 pm

David, I`d imagine that concentrating on the RAID, work, drives instead of the startup volume (boot) drive, is what to do. One way is to use a very good grade regular set like Hitachis. Better results are to use 2-1/2 inch drives, as the swinging of the arms is faster and less electricity. By the time you see the results after the math, this is pretty universal. The lesser electric bill gets remarkable. Considering that the 2- 1/2 inch drives at very economical sizes are maybe 320 GB not 500 GB for the 3-1/2 inch drives, everything points to having more drives in the RAID array, which isn`t necessarily poorer at all. Just when I least expected it, I ran across a sale of 120 GB SATA 300 (read, write, both, around 275 MB per second) SSD drives for $199 apiece. Oh, well, I`ll just have to write in the sand for now and hope the sale repeats someday.
- - Note, SSDs in a RAID 0 should purr like a kitten. - - Fred Jodry

(David Gagne Re: RAID- any benefit to having multiple RAID arrays?
by David Gagne on Jan 15, 2011 at 11:41:38 pm
1. If speed on your startup volume is an issue, buy a single SSD for it.
2. What kind of raid controller does your system have? If you have a single drive as your OS, can you still have a 4-drive raid 5? I wouldn't do RAID 0 for production unless you have realtime backups or your work is amateur only with no money involved.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]