FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to do with multiple USB External HDDs?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Jones
What to do with multiple USB External HDDs?
on Dec 14, 2010 at 11:59:37 pm

I've got about 10 external small 2.5" sized USB HDDs that are around 80-100 GB each. Alone they are kind of useless to me but I was wondering if there is any way to combine a number of them into a larger storage unit, array or RAID for backup in a windows or Mac environment.

Yes I know the read/write times are awful on these but for backup it will not matter, I can just run it overnight....if its even possible.

What are you all doing with these types of slow and small (by today's standards) usb drives?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: What to do with multiple USB External HDDs?
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:44:40 am

I think they would make good stocking stuffers this Christmas.
Grandma's gotta back up her photos too!

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:15:21 pm

your question makes me sick. People over the years have purchased EVERYTHING - film editing equipment, 1" VTR's, Quads, Sony D2 machines, Panasonic MII machines, CMX editing systems, early AVID's that cost over $100,000, Sony Beta camera packages, Quantel Paintboxes, etc, etc, etc.

Do you know what happens to all of this insanely expensive equipment ? YOU THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE, and you have an ulcer that your $80,000 - $100,000 investment is now worthless. You have 10 USB drives that you spend maybe $2000 for - BIG DEAL ! Chad is correct in his assesment - make them stocking stuffers, and GIVE THEM AWAY. Or use them as backup drives for your media if you get a larger array.

Just remember this John - you are going to replace all the USB drives with todays "latest and coolest and fastest" drive array. And in three - four years, you will have an EXPENSIVE pile of garbage sitting next to your now obsolete computer, and you will spend the money ALL OVER AGAIN.

Welcome to the video business.
Merry Christmas.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Dec 16, 2010 at 1:55:08 am

John, although USB hard drives are not the stuff that leaps video production out of the compressed world into RAVE and RAW, they still have their use for their regular speeds. For one thing, you said "2.5- inch" drives. They have universally lower power consumption for both regular nearly standby running (Think, motors spinning) and more so for dynamic use (Think, smaller arms swinging). They are good for swapping and slow backup, for internet, and so on. Remember there`s USB RAID cards if you can find one of the few kinds made. Like seemingly nearly all types of plug- in "device"or "boot device" cards there are way too few made, though. You can use my e- mail in the personnals if they`re for sale. They`re partial substitutes for SSD hard drives until SSD hard drives become practical and available, if ever. Fred Jodry
(Chad, send me an e- mail if you get time to do it, like after Christmas).

Return to posts index

John Jones
on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:24:33 am

OK OK. I know that they are nifty, low power and slow, but I'm not going to trash them! I'm looking to see if there is a role for them outside the obvious. People here are creative so I asked.

Right now the best I can do with them is format them as eFAT and use to copy data between Mac and PC as they do exceed the capacity of many USB thumb drives. Or use for backups...small backups.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:39:16 am

Send them out to a few of your best clients for Christmas and put your latest reel onboard.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Dec 22, 2010 at 10:42:20 pm

Late to this thread
But I Crack them open, pull out the platters
and turn them into "Coasters" for the coffee table.
I allways get comments on how unusual they are.
By the way I know a used equipment dealer who found himself stuck
with lots of old gear, so he pulls out the boards and has them
smelted down for the gold.
Bob, My last dumpster chuck was for 3 complete
GVG VPE 351 edit systems , Couldn't even give them away for free.
Thats 120,000 in the can.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:28:18 pm

That`s the kind of answer I was hoping no one would be foolish enough to write. I couldn`t care less if my customers found platters coasters amusing. Those who throw out hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars worth of equipment they don`t know what to do with should realize that the real problem is usually that they threw out a few long suffering employees to save maybe a few tens of thousands of dollars. Awfully foolish if you ask me.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:29:36 pm

That`s the kind of answer I was hoping no one would be foolish enough to write. I couldn`t care less if my customers found platters coasters amusing. Those who throw out hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars worth of equipment they don`t know what to do with should realize that the real problem is usually that they threw out a few long suffering employees to save maybe a few tens of thousands of dollars. Awfully foolish if you ask me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]