FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would like RAID Card and Drives Suggestion, Early 2008 Macpro

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Herrin
Would like RAID Card and Drives Suggestion, Early 2008 Macpro
on Nov 18, 2010 at 6:07:13 pm

Hello,

I see some Apple RAID cards out and about for the Macpro Early 2008. I don't know much about Macs, but I have read that the Apple RAID card is unreliable, and something like a Caldigit would be better.

I only need a RAID 1 setup, I think... So looking for a good recommendation here.

Also recommendations for which 2 drives to buy would be really welcome. Also any parts and pieces I would need to get it going, like SAS to SATA adapters and such.

Then when it's all in the case, I just go to Applications -> Utilities and select 'RAID' to set it up, correct?

Thanks all for help.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Would like RAID Card and Drives Suggestion, Early 2008 Macpro
on Nov 21, 2010 at 3:13:23 pm

all RAID cards will work - from Cal Digit, ATTO, Sonnet, Highpoint,
LSI, Areca, etc. Forget the Apple card. How do you get these cards to work - YOU READ THE MANUAL. You can read their manuals right now - they are all on line in .pdf format.

If all you want is RAID 1 (and not RAID 5), you don't buy anything - stick two hard drives in your MAC, and setup a RAID 1 with the Apple Disk Utility. This will cost you NOTHING !

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Geoff Herrin
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:47:01 pm

Thanks Bob. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks also to creativecow for this forum.

Return to posts index

Roland Schama
on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:18:55 am

Kind of an old post, but I can't seem to find a direct answer for my question. Hope you are still out there and can answer this.

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro. I recently installed 4 x 3TB drives. I have an Apple RAID card from that time frame and I am able to only get 2.2TB usable from each drive. I am assuming it is the RAID card's limitation? I am running a RAID5, but am not sure if I really require that configuration.

My goal is to create ONE large drive (which is also my startup disk) and combine the four 3TB drives. Is this possible without a RAID card? And if so, what RAID configuration would I be able to create just using Disk Utility?

I use a DroboPro for back ups so the RAID5 redundancy may not be as important to me know as it was when I first got the machine in May 2008.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]