FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there an eSATA to Firewire adapter?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tetamore
Is there an eSATA to Firewire adapter?
on Nov 17, 2010 at 2:01:31 am

Short story - my Mac desktop died. I had a 4 Drive eSATA enclosure hooked up via an eSATA card. What options, if any, are there to use this drive with a MacBook Pro? I believe I found a 2 port eSATA pci card, but the drive is a 4 drive array.

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com
"Crafting Visual Messages to Engage and Persuade"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Is there an eSATA to Firewire adapter?
on Nov 17, 2010 at 3:10:59 am

if your MacBook Pro has a slot34 adaptor, you can easily get an inexpensive eSATA card for your slot 34 adaptor, and plug in your existing array, without issue.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:29:17 am

My challenge is the drive is an existing drive that was striped across all four HDs as a simple array. So, I need a 4 port esata adapter. I've found some 2 port adapters, but not four. Where can I find the slot 34 adapter you referenced?

Thanks

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:39:37 pm

How many ports are on the back of your array? If there's 1 port, your array has port multiplication, if it has 4 ports, it's what's considered a "DUMMY JBOD box" and connects like 4 independent eSATA external drives would. If you have 1 port on the back, you're in business with Bob's recommendation. If it has 4 ports, you'll only be able to communicate with 2 of the 4 drives, in JBOD, with a 2 port ExpressCard 34mm to eSATA card, as Bob was mentioning. Either way, this is ONLY going to allow your 4 bay array to operate in JBOD, unless you throw a software RAID stripe on there, which I would NOT suggest & Bob Zelin would probably agree with me on. Again, I would highly recommend against putting a software STRIPE on your array. Doing so COULD cause irrecoverable data loss if a drive in the array fails. This setup is really only appropriate when in JBOD, or non-striped "just a bunch of disks".

Another reason to go with a hardware RAID array with RAID 5 or at least RAID 1 for safety & piece of mind.

We sell a 2 port eSATA, ExpressCard 34 here: 2-Port eSATA ExpressCard/34 Adapter

Jon Schilling
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Nov 17, 2010 at 8:01:44 pm

Thanks guys for the advice.

Yes, this is a JBOD drive array where each drive has a cable to it. They were striped together, and I've used them that way for several years now.

I assume that if I can't connect them all through one card that my MacBook Pro will not read them properly. Is that correct?

At this point, the objective is to pull the media off there.

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 17, 2010 at 8:09:26 pm

Brian said "I assume that if I can't connect them all through one card that my MacBook Pro will not read them properly. Is that correct"

Jon: Correct, the array would not be read correctly if you went to an ExpressCard to eSATA (since you have a software STRIPE on the array already) you'd have to reformat the array effectively deleting that data!

It's good that you've not had a drive fail with your current setup, because losing a drive would be, well, very bad, you could lose everything. Do backup & please consider a 4 bay hardware RAID 5 option. Using a software OS stripe isn't a good - safe, long term option for the reason I pointed out above. We know how important data protection is. If your OS get's corrupted, or you lose a drive, it's your data!

We have one, SOHORAID SR4

Hope that we've helped, that's certainly our goal.

Jon Schilling
RAIDON-USA Technology

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Nov 19, 2010 at 2:06:58 am

One more ignorant question. Can I install the four HDs from my enclosure in a new enclosure and access it as it was originally striped?

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 19, 2010 at 3:58:53 am

Brian, asking question & getting answers are what the Cow forums like this are about. Ignorance would be not asking questions. ;)

Is there a problem with the original enclosure?

As long as the 2nd enclosure is the same as the 1st, you should be OK.

Anything else? Do ask.

Jon Schilling
RAIDON-USA Technology

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:33:50 pm

No. There is nothing wrong with the original enclosure. The issue is, or should I say was my original Mac Desktop that it was connected to. That Mac died, and since it had the esata card in it, my eSATA enclosure is of no use to me. All I have at the moment is a MacBook Pro. That's why I've been asking about 4 port cards for a laptop.

So, I guess the only option is to purchase a new enclosure and install the drives in the same order (top to bottom?) as the original configuration. Right?

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:53:03 pm

Brian,

I'll give you a ring & we'll see what we can do from there. It sounds like you want to get your data off that array though, can't blame you. Ideally we'll direct you towards a safe transition.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]