FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage device power failure

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Anderson
Storage device power failure
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:34:07 am

I think this is the right forum for this. I have a 1.5TB drive that I purchased to be an eSata drive. However, I ended up needing the drive for another purpose before setting up my eSata card. I journaled the drive for Mac and I used the Firewire 800 port instead. I copied the necessary files I needed on to it. Later, while working with the drive, the power transformer suddenly went out. There's a lot of new work on this drive and I'm sure that my data is still on it, but I cannot get the drive to spin up or the LED to light up anymore. How can I get to my data? Someone suggested to me cracking open the plastic case, removing the hard drive and sticking it directly in my Mac. If that is a good option, how do I do it? Or is there another option(s)?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Storage device power failure
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:05:55 pm

losing power to your drive while it is writing data is the #1 way to corrupt your drive. If it's a normal eSATA drive, yes, it will just slide right into your MAC Pro computer - there are three spare slots, that require no special cabling that will accept a normal standard SATA drive.
But you say that you have a 1.5 TB drive - only Seagate made these, and these are the worst drives ever made. They were notorious for failing (believe me, I have suffered personally).

Once you get the drive into your MAC, if you can't read it, run Alsoft Disk Warrior on it - if this does not recover your media, you are screwed. You can pay thousands for a data recovery service, but I am sure that you are not interested in doing that !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

George Anderson
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:13:30 pm

Thanks, Bob.
It's a Western Digital. I never set it up to be an eSata drive. Does that matter? So, I just break open the case and pull out the drive and stick it in the Mac? Ok. I'll try that this evening when I return. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

George Anderson
on Apr 9, 2010 at 7:00:44 pm

Well, I must be doing something wrong although I'm hard pressed to understand what. It seems pretty straight forward to me. I put the drive in, booted up the computer, but I don't see the drive. It's a 1.5TB drive from Western Digital. Is it possible that because it's 1.5TB that it just doesn't fit?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:19:27 pm

If you have the drive properly seated in the drive slot, go to to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. If you do not see the drive recognized there, like Bob said, you are probably screwed or need to take out a loan for advanced data recovery.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 10, 2010 at 1:02:36 am

chad is correct. If you put the SATA drive into your MAC (it just slides right in), and it's seated
correctly, and Disk Utility doesn't see it - you have 2 choices -
1) run Disk Warrior to try to recover your data
2) hire a data recovery service (about $4000, and no, I am not joking)
3) give up.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

George Anderson
on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:20:16 am

Sweet!
Thanks, for your help. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and try again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]