FORUMS: list search recent posts

Promise Pegasus R4 - drive replacement procedure

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Begon
Promise Pegasus R4 - drive replacement procedure
on Jun 30, 2018 at 10:23:36 am

Hi

I have a Promise Pegasus R4, set to Raid 0. Recently one of the drives failed (bad sectors) and I bought an exact replacement. I put it into the unit and it showed up as 'untitled' and was clearly not yet recognised by the rest of the system. I went into Promise utility and the Wizard saw that it was 'pass thru' and needed to be configured. I followed a procedure from the Wizard that seemed to configure the drive and turn it into a logical drive but it now seems to be part of it's own array.

see uploaded image - the drive is the one that is top of the list

I think I've messed up and need some advice on how to get this drive working with the other three. I think I'm close but not sure what my next move should be!

AB

thanks in advance to anyone able to help!

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Promise Pegasus R4 - drive replacement procedure
on Jul 2, 2018 at 12:26:42 pm

Hi Adrian,

first of all why Raid0? I would go with Raid5.
In your case, you've lost all your data on your raid, so you have to built a new raid with your 4 drives.
Second: why did you buy a WDC instead of the same samsung HD's you have already in your raid?
Perhaps it will work with the WDC, you have to try.
It is very simple, you have to perform a new disc array within your software.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 2, 2018 at 12:32:59 pm

there is a Promise compatibility list of drives with the R4.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 2, 2018 at 1:05:24 pm

Ranier is correct about everything he is saying.
You purchased a non matching WD drive. You had a RAID 0, so when a drive fails, you lose all your data.
Had your system been set to RAID 5 (which is every Promise RAID array ever sold), you would just put in the replacement drive, and the rebuild would have restored everything. So SOMEONE created the RAID 0 for you. Perhaps this was a used system.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Adrian Begon
on Jul 3, 2018 at 7:45:27 am

Hi folks

first up, thanks a mill for the replies - hugely appreciated! Second apologies for some incorrect information on my part - the raid was (and still is) set to Raid 5 - when I wrote the post I was a bit scrambled and managed to mess that up - not exactly helping myself there. My situation now is that I figured out that somehow I'd put the new drive into it's own Raid array. Consequently I managed then to unconfigure it and performed a disk array build and have now managed to get it into the same raid array as the other drives.

So now my raid array and other info looks like this (see images) which I think means I'm back in the right place

You guys are correct - I bought the Raid on ebay 6 months ago and it's only now that a drive has gone bad on me. So I've got 2 more questions.
The drive I bought was a Samsung HD - I got that right - but do you think I should change out the WDC drive for another Samsung? Is there a high chance of that failing?
Secondly - in this system all drives atm are 1TB - could I swap them all out for 2TB drives?Would that work on the Promise Peg R4?
Many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 3, 2018 at 12:50:15 pm

Hi Adrian,

when we buy a used system, we swop all drives and replace them for new ones..
You have to use a set of drives out of the compatability list of Promise.
Always use exactly the same drives.
We always buy 5 drives, one drive as a spare, which is stored, just in case.
The other drives out of the used system we use as single HD's for second ot third back-up storage.
When one drive already failed, it is likely that the others can fail too. You just don't know how many working hours the drives have. With enterprise class drives, they last around 50.000 working hours. Either a drive quits within the first year, or it works around 5-7 years. When you buy enterprise class drives you have a 5 year warranty, so a drive dying within the first year will be replaced by the manufacturer.
First of all - buy a min. 3TB HD and save your data.
Second: rebuild your Raid out of 4 new HD's from the compatibility list of Promise.
Use Raid 5.
You will sleep much better.
cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Adrian Begon
on Jul 3, 2018 at 1:13:12 pm

Hi Rainer

thanks so much for this excellent advice - I will follow up on it for sure and now replace all drives with new ones

hugely appreciated
Ade

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]