FORUMS: list search recent posts

replace dead hihgpoint rocketraid 4322

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
jeanke bos
replace dead hihgpoint rocketraid 4322
on Jan 31, 2018 at 8:56:19 pm

My 8 year old RR 4322 died few days ago. So I have no acces anymore to my proavio raid 6 array on my mac pro 5,1.
What do you recommend to replace my 4322? Do I have to stick to the same brand? I guess so if I want to have access to my files, but don't feel to buy highpoint anymore as I read here in the forums that's not the most reliable brand.

Thanks for your advice!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: replace dead hihgpoint rocketraid 4322
on Feb 1, 2018 at 5:06:47 pm

if you don't want to reformat your RAID array, and lose all your media, you must stick with the Highpoint
Try the RR4522

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

jeanke bos
on Feb 1, 2018 at 11:19:36 pm

there's no way to recover the data from the individual raid6 drives with some recovery software? I read about programs like R-Studio or UFSexplorer on Mac or mdadm on Linux?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Feb 2, 2018 at 12:59:13 pm

Hi jeanke,

if your card has died, you just replace it, and your external SAS Raid will appear.
You can still use it, when it is in proper working condition.
You just need a new SAS card, like the one Bob has mentioned.
What proavio raid do you use?

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 2, 2018 at 2:55:10 pm

[jeanke bos] "there's no way to recover the data from the individual raid6 drives with some recovery software? "

With recovery there is a good chance of corrupt files. So it depends on how important the data on the drives is. Best bet is another RocketRaid card, like the one Bob mentioned.
TC

Return to posts index

jeanke bos
on Feb 2, 2018 at 3:49:33 pm

it's a proavio EB8MS raid with 8 WD drives of 1 terabyte

Some files on the drive are important to me, but 80 to 90% or so not anymore.

Is the rocketraid 4522 better than the older 4322? How about Highpoint service in 2018, still such technical problems and bad support?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2018 at 4:42:24 pm

Jeanke -
this is becoming rediculous. Here we go with another one of my crazy ranting replies.
Your card is dead. You have media that you need. It's been several days that you are out of business.
Right now, right this second - GO OUT AND ORDER A REPLACEMENT CARD. Who cares what the support is like - you have to get back to work, and make money. You are LOSING MONEY right now, right this second.

Do you think that you can send your broken card from Highpoint, ATTO, or Areca back to them, and someone will sit there with a hot air wave solder station, find the broken part, send it back to you, and charge you 50 dollars ? ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Spend the money, get back to work. Do you think a data recovery service will recover all your data for less than the price of a new card ? (which you need anyway ). I just don't understand what is going on here. Don't you have to get back to work with your media, and MAKE MONEY ? Are you the person that gets a flat tire, and says "I am going to take my bicycle to a tire repair shop, and have them try to fix the tire, instead of replacing the tire "?

Buy the 4522 and let us know what happens.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

jeanke bos
on Feb 2, 2018 at 6:24:24 pm

Bob, it might be ridiculous in your point of view, but at the moment I don't really use the raid array, so there is no hurry. I took a pause in filmmaking for some years and am now thinking in restarting this but not immediately.
I don' t feel like investing 600 euros in a raid card if I'm not sure it's good quality and supported by a serious company.
When I was talking about software, I was not planning to pay $$$ for some recovery service, but trying it myself, there seems to be some good open source tool for linux.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Feb 5, 2018 at 12:09:22 pm

Hi Jeanke,

it's good to know that this is a hobby problem.
Most of us earn money with filmmaking so we take things quite seriously.

Good luck,
cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

jeanke bos
on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:06:46 pm

It's not really a hobby problem, as I like to restart my movie making activities in a year or so. So see it as a cash-flow problem if you like.

So I am still waiting for your views on highpoint and the 4522 controller card in particular.

If I have to spend more than 500 dollars to fix things, I'll prefer buying a controller from a serious brand with decent support.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:20:44 pm

As Rainer said, we make our living doing this. I can only relate this to other simple professions. If you want to be an Uber driver, and you say "my brother gave me his old car, and I want to fix it up so I can make some money driving people around" - this is not how it works. You get a loan for a nice car, like a Prius, and you start driving. You are now an Uber driver. If you are going to be a house painter, and you are going to make a living doing this, you don't say "I have these old paint brushes - does anyone know how I can clean these up, so I can paint someone's home, without having to buy new brushes". And if you don't have the money, you get a loan - from a bank, or your friends or family to buy paint brushes, tarps, tape, ladders (and a vehicle to get to your paint job) so you can do this. If you are a musician, and you want to play night clubs and bars to make a living playing music, you don't go to a garage sale, in hopes of finding some cheap guitar that will be good enough, that no one will know that you spent 10 dollars for some guitar, and now you are getting paid to play every weekend playing music and earning a living.

If you are a film maker (or any other business) - you invest in your business, like any other adult. And if you simply don't have the money to do this, then you GET A JOB, save your money, and then get the equipment you need to start your business. The correct card to purchase for an old system is the Areca ARC 1883x, but if you spend the money for this, you will have to reformat your RAID array, and you will lose your media. And this card, which is more reliable than the Highpoint is about twice the price of the Highpoint. If you don't want to lose your media, you must buy the same manufacturer. This would apply if you already owned an Areca or ATTO card as well.

People often say to me "don't lecture me". I am an amateur musician, and I go to see local "professional" musicians playing in bars and clubs on a regular basis. It's not a game for them, and it's not fun for them - even if they enjoy playing. This is how they eat. They buy the musical equipment, and the sound reinforcement equipment they need to make a living. I am not a professional musician, and I will not make that investment for myself.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Feb 8, 2018 at 2:28:39 pm

Hi jeanke,

I would recommend the Atto ExpressSAS®™ R680 - 8 External 6Gb SAS ports.
I believe you have PCIx 2.0.
in case you have PCIx 3.0 it would be the Atto ExpressSAS®™ H1280 - 8 External 12Gb SAS ports

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]