FORUMS: list search recent posts

New build with 2x 2TB HDD, 2x 1TB NVME SSD and 1x 512GB NVME SSD

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Williams
New build with 2x 2TB HDD, 2x 1TB NVME SSD and 1x 512GB NVME SSD
on Dec 29, 2017 at 3:17:23 am

ROG Zenith Extreme Motherboard, Ryzen Threadripper 1959x, 64GB Ballistix elite ram.
Attempting a workstation/gaming rig and would like to know how to deploy the storage devices.
Still have a difficult time in determining a good plan using a mixed raid setup with the following list of new storage devices: two 2TB HDD, two 1TB NVME SSD and one 512GB NVME SSD.
Hopefully someone could assist in a good performance configuration. I have read quite a bit about raid arrays but still not confident on a good solution for my hardware.
Respectfully
Gregory (aka fossil)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: New build with 2x 2TB HDD, 2x 1TB NVME SSD and 1x 512GB NVME SSD
on Dec 29, 2017 at 8:04:42 pm

Hi -
you own an excellent motherboard. Your two 2TB HDD are for your media storage (you need more than this for actual storage - what are 4TB going to do for you today - and this is not a safe array, unless you do RAID 1).
I guess your one 512GB SSD is for your Win 10 OS. You tell me - what are you going to do with the two 1TB NVME SSD - use it for caching, use it for rendering, so it's fast, use it for 8K playback ? That's up to you. Bottom line, you need a lot more than two 2TB SATA drives. Think about an external array.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:06:21 pm

You should go to the Adobe Hardware forum to get more feedback on best practices but it sure appears that you'll be best served by using the 512GB NVME SSD as your OS drive, stripe your two 1TB NVME SSD together as Raid 0 and use them as your render/cache drive, stripe your two 2TB HDD as Raid 0 and use for general internal storage and then add a raid to the mix for your media and you'll have a very efficient system.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Gregory Williams
on Jan 2, 2018 at 6:48:04 pm

Thank you for your time and guidance regarding my query.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]