FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows RAID Issues

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
Windows RAID Issues
on Nov 15, 2017 at 3:18:39 pm

I rarely use RAID on the Windows side of things.
On set, the DMT was asked to swap RAID sets using an OWC (Thunderbolt chassis) and internal (HP Z840).
Of course, I get to be the sucker to inherit this for assembly/edit/color.
I tried to place the RAID sets in other external enclosures and no dice.
Whether its a USB 3 4-bay or Sonnet SAS RAID (very old) using an ATTO R380, I still have no luck.
Sure I can just switch the drives in the OWC/Internal but that's just stupid.
I have never had this issue on the Mac as far as moving RAID sets using different enclosures.

Am I wasting my time?

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
Re: Windows RAID Issues
on Nov 15, 2017 at 7:52:19 pm

Just to clarify...

A) You created a spanned volume/storage space using Windows? (As in you created some kind of software RAID volume)

OR...

B) You pressed some buttons on the enclosure, which created a RAID volume of some description? (stripe/mirror/parity.. whatever)

In the case of B, I would not expect you could take drives out of a OWC enclosure, whack them in another brand of enclosure and expect it to just work.

On Mac you might have been passing the drives to macOS, then creating a RAID volume. This would generally work if you moved the drives to another enclosure, providing the OS could see just the drives.

Expressed another way, you can't normally create a RAID6 on an Areca controller, then later import that using an ATTO/LSI/Adaptec/Whatever.

I'm not 100% on this, but I have chipped in because it sounds like your data is at risk.

I also may have misunderstood, so apologies if I'm up the wrong tree.

FWIW the only really good filesystem for this kind of importability is ZFS, but that is still very much a community project.

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 15, 2017 at 8:18:51 pm

by raid sets are you referring solely to the drives?

I have an OWC Thunderbay with four Toshiba drives and it works flawlessly in Windows...now.

On the windows side of things there were a pile of variables that I had to put into proper place before the thunderbay would work nicely though.

Here's what I recall:

Update BIOS
Download PC driver from OWC for the Thunderbay
Download Intel Management Engine interface from motherboard manufacturer gigabyte to update chipset
Download Thunderbolt drivers from Gigabyte
Run firmware utility to flash update Thunderbolt on motherboard
Create RAID through Disk Management in Windows

After doing all of that, my OWC Thunderbay works without issue.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Nov 15, 2017 at 8:37:13 pm

That seems like more of an answer to me.

Hope you get it sorted Eric.

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 16, 2017 at 3:53:46 pm

Thanks, Alex/Greg.

The RAID sets were created in Windows using Disk Management.
After a few attempts, I gave up.
I know for a fact the original RAID sets will work (swap) for both OWC/Internal since they were originally created that way.
I guess I was trying to force the RAID sets into a different system (as Alex stated this isn't going to work) so that I can work with all the RED files in one volume.
Currently, the whole feature is in four different RAID sets.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]