FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconfiguring two raids as mirrors for two edit systems

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
greg janza
Reconfiguring two raids as mirrors for two edit systems
on Jul 31, 2017 at 12:30:30 am

I recently had a power supply issue (the power supply was faulty and causing random restart crashes) with my pc which in turn wreaked quite a bit of havoc with one of my two OWC Thunderbay raids. I was forced to restripe the raid.

Previous to the Power Supply issue, the two OWC Thunderbay raids were both pc formatted Raid10 and were directly connected to my pc through a thunderbolt connection on the PC and then each raid was shared to my MBP via network share when I was working in FCPX. That setup worked well until the power supply issue arrived on the scene.

After getting the pc repaired, I've reconfigured the raids. Both raids are now formatted Raid0. The Mac formatted raid is connected directly to the MBP and the PC formatted raid is connected directly to my pc.

I've gone with Raid0 because I've added Resilio into the mix as a continuous sync tool and now both raids are mirrors of each other. But as the folks here have taught, the mirroring isn't enough so for backup I'm using dropsync on the mac side and syncing all current work to an external USB3 drive.

I've gone this route because when I lost one computer due to repair I realized that I need to always have a backup computer in the mix in order to maintain optimal workflow efficiency.

Going forward I like the idea of being able to switch systems if any problems arise and continuing to work without issue. This is possible because I primarily work on PP. Naturally I'm making an assumption that both Raids will not go down at the same time but even if that was to occur the backup external drive would suffice until the raids were back up and running.

I'm posting this for anyone else out there who is looking to maintain two independent edit systems with shared media.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Reconfiguring two raids as mirrors for two edit systems
on Aug 7, 2017 at 10:21:16 am

Hi Greg,

this is rather a strange way you are going - I would call it the Gregs way.
Usually you have one solid raid with raid6 level plus one spare and a small san server system for the shared storage.
Back-up on external HDs, one of the HDs on a seperate place apart from your work.
You power problem is still there.
You need a smart ups system for example APC.
Our whole computer system incl. 4 Raid systems runs independently for ca. 1 hour in case of a power failure.
So we can shut down the system properly. In addition to that the ups "cleans" your power (constant voltage).

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Reconfiguring two raids as mirrors for two edit systems
on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:28:58 pm

Rainer, I know it's a bit of a unique approach and that's why I posted my setup.

The power supply problem I was referring to was the power supply inside of my PC. I had to replace that power supply.
My entire system is on an APC UPS.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]