FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Xserve Raid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

aaron spears
Replacing Xserve Raid
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:35:59 pm

Hello all,

I need to replace my Xserve Raid...drives continue to go bad & replacements are getting harder to find. We have a fiber link to the Xserve so I absolutely love the speed I have currently, I'm not finding a lot of options out there that offer a fiber link connection when searching for a replacement. Active Storage seems like the logical choice...but it's out of my price range...hoping to find something in the 3k range. Any suggestions???

Return to posts index

aaron spears
Re: Replacing Xserve Raid
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:50:56 pm

Any thoughts on the G-Speed eS Pro???

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:32:35 am

yes, it's not $3000.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:18:48 pm

And if you use the link on Creative Cow, you get 10% discount for being a Cow member.

Return to posts index

aaron spears
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:27:27 pm

Saw that Todd...awesome discount!

Guess I'm just worried about taking a set backwards in performance. The G-Speed eS Pro has a read/write speed around 700mb/s...The Xserve RAIDs we use have 2 fiber link connections at 2Gb/s (Not sure if that is accurate...I've also heard 3,200 mb/s). Anyway, we work with a lot of DVCPro HD footage currently & are starting to incorporate more AVC Intra...by replacing my Xserve RAIDs with G-Speed eS Pros am I going to kill my productivity (render time & such)???

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:54:53 pm

[aaron spears] "Guess I'm just worried about taking a set backwards in performance. The G-Speed eS Pro has a read/write speed around 700mb/s...The Xserve RAIDs we use have 2 fiber link connections at 2Gb/s"

You're comparing the actual read/write speed of the G-Speed array with the theoretical link speed to your Xserve RAID, without accounting for the read/write speed of the Xserve RAID array.

You can use the AJA System Test to find out what your current read/write speeds actually are.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

aaron spears
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:59:33 pm

Thanks Walter!

Running the AJA tests made it clear to me that I will not be losing any performance...in fact it will probably improve my performance. Thanks 4 the advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]