FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP's diverse range

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
QNAP's diverse range
on Apr 19, 2017 at 7:07:23 am

For an upcoming project in the UAE, I was browsing QNAP NAS boxes and came across such a huge range of SKUs that I wonder how one makes a choice, and how they keep up with this vast range.

http://www.datacaredubai.com/nas-boxes-shop-menu?filter_catid=86

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP's diverse range
on Apr 20, 2017 at 5:35:43 am

QNAP has TOO many models. Every time they add one feature, it's another model number.
It can be quite confusing.
And people always say "I am going to wait for the next model" (like a new Mac computer) -
well, you can't do this with QNAP, as there is ALWAYS a new model.

This week's new model, about to be shown at NAB is the TS-1685, which is similar to the dirt cheap TS-1635, but with more powerful processors, up to 128 Gig of RAM, and of course, 12 SATA bays, 4 SSD bays, and free dual port 10G ports all for $2900 (the TS 1635 is about $1299). But the TS01684 can be expanded with 4 additional expansion chassis, at $1200 each with a $399 SAS expander card.

And please be assured that once you purchase this, 6 months from now, there will be a cheaper more powerful model. Who needs to wait for NAB or IBC, when every few months, whatever you have purchased is now obsolete !

With that said, there is no question that companies like QNAP, Synology, Thecus and Netgear ReadyNas (sorry Drobo, you are not in this club) are killing the American and Western European companies that make shared storage solutions, because of their impossible low prices.

It's a crazy time.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]