FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on RAID setup

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sally Wilson
Advice on RAID setup
on Apr 5, 2017 at 6:02:54 am

Hi,
I am just wanting some advice on whether or not the RAID system I'm thinking of using will be sufficient for my needs as im not great with technical stuff! Each year i edit a tv program that requires around 4T of storage for media and we need to upgrade our system.
We have a 2015 Mac Book Pro (2 Thunderbolt + USB 3 ports) and was looking into getting the WD My Book Pro 12T system configured as RAID 1 (so i will have a mirrored - kind of backup!) aswell as getting another 4T External drive to back up everything onto via Time Machine as a "just in case the WD drives both fail" backup!
RAID 5 and 6 systems would be great but unfortunately the budget won't stretch quite that far at the moment. Given that we only ever utilise 3 - 4T of space for the entire show over the season would the above system be ok?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Regards Sally

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Advice on RAID setup
on Apr 5, 2017 at 12:44:46 pm

Hi Sally -
this is going to be a rude reply to you. However I hope this is helpful.
This is a 4TB RAID array for Thunderbolt computers -
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2IVT04.0S/
it's $649

are you actually telling me that you are doing a REAL TV SHOW and you don't have $649 in your budget so you
can edit your show. Do you work for free ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 6, 2017 at 11:48:42 am

I stick with Bob,

a Raid5 promise 4bay thunderbolt raid would give you more speed and enough redundancy together with your back-up routine - and it is not expensive.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Sally Wilson
on Apr 7, 2017 at 1:29:38 am

Hi Rainer,
Thanks for your response. Ill look into the OWC Raids. Ive got probably about $1500 - $2000 Australian dollars to work with so that should be a good option and then i can have Raid 5 also - and thanks for not being rude in your response.
Regards Sally

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]