FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a new Workflow!

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Thiessen
Building a new Workflow!
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:06:07 pm

Hello All! I'll cut to the chase.

I've just been employed by a new production company that has no back ups of their content...(seriously? Yes.)

I am taking it upon myself to build a new workflow that will fix this.
They have:
- one Lacie 4big Quadra 4TB that operates as a working drive (this is pretty much full)
- one drobo s 4TB that operates as a sort of archive (also pretty much full)

None of these are backed up. So I know I need AT LEAST 8GB to back up all of this content.

This new work flow needs to create one copy of all our content to be put into a safe, one copy to be archived, and one copy that can be worked on. There are usually 3 different people that need to access this content throughout the day.

Any suggestions would be AMAZING!

Would it work to put the Lacie into RAID 1 to produce a working copy and an archive copy? Are you able to see what content is on each drive so it can be properly labeled and stored? That would equal the archived copy and the safe copy, then all we need is another working copy?

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Building a new Workflow!
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:58:35 am

Joel, not to cut down next answers like Bob`s at all but I thought I`d push in some quick themes.
1. Three backups? Oh by the way, three people? At least three recorder- players of the backup material, preferrably with a spare, and likely at least a knick- knack spare of the same for special purposes like testing, files renaming, or formatting. In other words, stuff that gets in the way, is special. Backup type should be in different form of storage than what you`re rolling, which is usually hard drives.
2. (Gary and I are headaching this one on the ARRI forum right now as we type): Put a booster processor right inside the backup system so that beast, and things that go along with it like visible electricity, turn on and off right with the backup system, leaving the regular sized works regular.
3. Build more backup and horsepower than you need and throttle down. I like variable speed equipment if possible.
4. Adding new workers to a fallen behind project will always make it drag even more.
5. All that increased rug dust will really beat a path to your machines, watch out!
6. My own theory, get home from work as soon as possible so you`ll have 13 hours to wind down and play, sleep (?), then get to work first, to be the morning hero at work. Guess when they`ll need you most.
-These were the quickies, shoot me for not writing the fine stuff. Your title says it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:38:33 am

http://www.cache-a.com/

Return to posts index

Joel Thiessen
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:25:01 pm

An update:

I was just given 8 x 1TB drives. Doesn't help too much yet. They were intended for the drobo, but I don't like how drobo operates.

Can someone suggest an enclosure for me? At least 2 bays, Firewire 800, a variety of RAIDS and very Mac compatible.

Thanks so much everyone!

Return to posts index

Joel Thiessen
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:31:59 pm

Just came across these:

Galaxy Metal Gear

Icy Dock

Something like these are what I think I need... Any one work with these or can recommend a better product?

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:26:48 am

http://www.istoragepro.com

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]