FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for Mini SAS Raid card upgrade?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
Suggestions for Mini SAS Raid card upgrade?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 1:59:05 pm

I have a 2009 Mac Pro connected to two 8tb GSpeed ES Pro's using the Atto R380 (OS X Lion) raid 5. I'd like to upgrade my OS (for other software needs) and so need to upgrade my raid card. Since this is just a system for personal use (primarily prores footage), I'm looking more towards the budget options of Highpoint or Newertech. Definitely want a rebuild option as I've run into drive deaths before. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
Re: Suggestions for Mini SAS Raid card upgrade?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 2:28:28 pm

Or should I go the route mentioned in this thread?: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/330/487
(Install the latest R380 driver that's available and then update OS to yosemite -can't do further upgrades.) This works?

I believe yosemite is all I need for my other software updates. Maybe not all that future proof but could maybe hold me off until I'm ready to totally upgrade my system...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 2, 2016 at 9:35:51 pm

The R380 was discontinued in 2011. I don't think there is a driver from ATTO (the 4.03 driver for the R380) that will work with Yosemite.

So that's not going to work.

As for the G-Speed's - they are 3G chassis. Would it work with a new ATTO R680, that has current drivers - yes, (probably) and you probably would not lose your data. Would it work with a Highpoint or Areca card ? Maybe.
Never tried it. Would it work with a Newer Tech card - absolutely not.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Nov 2, 2016 at 9:53:26 pm

Ok so the Highpoint or Areca might technically work with the drives if i reformatted them but probably can't keep my data? Ugh love my GSpeeds and my Mac Pro. Hate shelling out more money than i need to for things that may not have much longer anyways... Decisions...
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Nov 3, 2016 at 5:54:50 pm

If i upgrade to the R680, is it possible to have the drives show up on two different OS X versions without having to re-flash? Specifically Lion and latest OS. On a dual boot system. Would love to be able to start up on either OS without issue but not sure if that's possible.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:07:16 pm

you said you don't want to make a short term investment. The R680 is around $900. It won't work with thunderbolt.
I thought you were going to get a thunderbolt computer. I showed you an ATTO thunderbolt adaptor, which is basically the R680 in a thunderbolt box that you could continue to use your G-Speeds with, without losing your data.

You can't have it both ways.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Nov 9, 2016 at 6:59:19 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. It was really helpful to know that other raid cards might not let me access my data already on my drives. I got the R680 from B&H for $660. Worth the price to access my data for a few more years without shelling out a lot more for a new computer with thunderbolt plus the thunderbolt adapter. Works great in the dual boot situation too without any setup headaches. I thought I read that the R680 is compatible with thunderbolt in an expansion box but if not i'll have to come up with another solution when I'm ready to make a complete switch. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]