FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pegasus R6 problems with El Capitan

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Jacobs
Pegasus R6 problems with El Capitan
on Oct 23, 2016 at 4:12:10 pm

I have a Pegasus R6 in a RAID 5 configuration. Although I haven't had problems in the past, I'm now stuck. I had a drive crash, so replaced it, but now when I try to run the Utility to rebuild, it opens briefly then closes. I have downloaded the latest version from support, but when it gets to the last part of the install I get a "installation failure." I have also downloaded the latest firmware, but can't install it because the Utility won't open!!!

I have a support ticket in, but of course no response from them. Any suggestions? I know this is a legacy product so I'm wondering if I can simply use the MAC OS to format the drive RAID 5 and cut Pegasus out of the whole deal.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Pegasus R6 problems with El Capitan
on Oct 24, 2016 at 1:17:18 pm

Hi Steve,

Deinstall the pegasus software. Shut the computer down, unplug your Pegasus, then update your OS. Reinstall the newest version of the pegasus software. Sut down the computer. Plug the pegasus in, start the computer and try again,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2016 at 6:37:11 pm

the Mac OS will not do a RAID 5 or RAID6 for you.
You must have a working utility from Promise to get this working.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Jacobs
on Oct 26, 2016 at 5:41:26 am

Tried both suggestions tonight but nothing. Uninstalled Promise Utility. Upgraded my OS to El Capitan 10.11.6. Tried to install most current Promise utility but still got the Installation Failure prompt. So done with this company.

And now that I see that El Capitan and beyond cannot format RAID 5 or 6, what are people doing with their drive arrays????

Pissed right now. Really pissed.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 26, 2016 at 9:04:45 am

Hi Steve,

let us know, if you are successful or not and how,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Steve Jacobs
on Oct 27, 2016 at 1:18:31 pm

Finally some success. My wife has a newer 2013 iMac, so I downloaded the Pegasus utility to her computer and was able to rebuild the RAID5 unit, so I'm good. But that got me to thinking about why it didn't work on mine, so without my RAID connected to my 2011 Mac Book Pro, I tried the install and again got the install failure. Weird.

Now I seem to have yet another problem in that all of my Adobe CS5.5 will not open. That's really weird as I ran Adobe Premiere about 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Ah computers.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 28, 2016 at 9:34:50 am

Hi Steve,

adobe 5.5 and ElCaptain does not work properly for everyone. Adobe wants you to join the cloud for extra bucks. They finished support for Box sets. The question is: Why did you switch to El Captain? Any benefits ? We still run Mountain Lion,
it works great,

Cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Steve Jacobs
on Oct 28, 2016 at 12:44:04 pm

I'm not sure why I switched other than to get rid of the prompt that kept appearing in the upper right corner. I do have a Time Machine backup, so I'm going to try and revert on my laptop to see if I can go back to at least Yosemite on my laptop.

Return to posts index

Steve Jacobs
on Nov 14, 2016 at 2:13:09 pm

A strange update to this whole mess. I am still on El Capitan 10.11.6 and have not gone back to Mavericks because I'm in the middle of a large video project and just need to get it done.

So apparently I have automatic updates checked on my App preferences and Final Cut X updated to 10.3 two nights ago. I boot my computer and realize that FCP looked different. Whatever. I'm was able to finish my video project and when I finished, I decided to check my CS5.5 programs that previously had not opened. Suddenly, now all my CS5.5 software works again. What???? So what I thought was an operating system problem, is somehow related to my FCP software. The only other update that was installed in the last few weeks was iTunes.

So I'm making a Time Machine backup right now and will stop upgrading my OS from now on.

The Promise Utility software still doesn't work on my laptop, but at least I know I can run it from my wife's MAC, which is still on El Capitan 10.11.2.

Return to posts index

Steve Jacobs
on Sep 17, 2017 at 5:12:07 pm

So that fix lasted about a year. I'm still on OS Yosemite, and the other day had yet another hard drive failure on the Hitachi drives in the Pegasus R6. So I did the same as last time and installed a 2TB drive to replace. Ran the migration and all went well. But this morning I got a warning message saying OS X couldn't repair the drive. Well I never use the MAC disc utility because Promise has its own.

So I can see /move/copy files from my 5 TB raid5 drive, but it won't let me delete files. Anyone else get this prompt? I tried Safe Mode, but still couldn't save or delete files.

Thanks.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]