FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP eSata RAID & storage reccs and workflow, Macbook Pro user

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia Brown
FCP eSata RAID & storage reccs and workflow, Macbook Pro user
on Oct 17, 2010 at 3:36:03 pm

Hello everyone.
This is my first post. I'm an artist, make video, and edit my own work. I've seen frequent variants of this question, but am finding the need to ask, all the same, so thank you for your patience. I've previously been editing miniDV on a pre-Intel G5, so I've got a learning curve here working with a tapeless format. What storage workflow would you recommend for a Macbook Pro (17", maxed out, Fall 2010), FCP 7, and Canon D7 dSLR? I use a fair amount of audio and video filters and graphics in the pieces, all single camera, 5-25 min. length so far. I'd like to invest in a system that anticipates increasingly more complicated, (possibly multicam, etc) workflow in the future. My budget ceiling is $3K, but would be happy to spend less.

Question Part 1:
I'm planning to get an eSata card, and will have an offsite backup drive. Additionally, what are the speed/security/cost pros and cons of

RAID 0 + ?# of external drives for backup
vs. RAID 1 + ?# external drives
vs. RAID 5 + ?# external drives
vs. a jbod configuration

What about products like OWCs RAID 0+1? Who makes a RAID 1+0? I understand that RAID 0 offers speed rather than redundancy, and requires backup. Obviously I am open to any other configuration you might prefer that will cost less than $3K. Is there any advantage of using SSDs for any of these functions? As externals or jbod? Will they just slow things down?

Question Part 2:
After I have these awesome, fancy drives, where should media, scratch, project files, etc go?

Question Part 3:
Is there anything else I would be better off investing some the rest of my budget in? Like a tape drive or I don't know what? Any other tips and tricks for me?

Thank you!

Julia

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: FCP eSata RAID & storage reccs and workflow, Macbook Pro user
on Oct 17, 2010 at 3:54:58 pm

http://www.caldigit.com/FASTA-1ex.asp

sonnet makes an equivalent card.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

Never go to the OWC website ever again.

Other tips and tricks for you ? Go work as an intern at a video production company, or post house, and learn how it's done. Observe what professionals do.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Julia Brown
on Oct 17, 2010 at 4:16:59 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your response.

I figured I would go with an eSata card by whoever manufactured the drives I end up with. It seems like a lot of people around here like the Caldigit VR, so if I went with that, the card you recommend would be great. But the question is really about how to setup storage-RAID 0, 1, 5, jbod....for the best mixture of price, speed, redundancy.

You are not a fan of OWC, or not a fan of their website? I've used their Mercury elite drives for years and never had a problem yet. They also seem well liked around here, so I'm curious about your experience.

Your suggestion of interning in a post house is in an interesting one, unfortunately not within my possibility for the next year or so. Maybe some of you pros would kindly offer some shorter term advice?

JB

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:18:00 pm

I am not a fan of RAID 1 mirroring. RAID 5 is the way to go, but RAID 5 is probably out of your budget. A nice boring single SATA drive (today doing over 100MB/sec) will give you what you need. Any of the 2 drive products from Cal Digit, Maxx Digital or Sonnet will allow you to do RAID 0 between the 2 drives. Will OWC work - sure it will work. I fully understand you are on a budget. My advice - save your money, get away working with a single SATA, and when you can do the right thing, buy a RAID 5 array.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:36:42 am

http://www.stardomstorage.com/sohoraid_sr4_feature.html

Return to posts index

Julia Brown
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:25:11 am

Hi Bob,
Wow, really? You'd recommend it? Only 4 hours ago I ordered a 8TB Maxx Digital evoVR RAID 5 array. The Stardom you mention, with four 2.0TB Hitachi 7K2000 7200RPM SATA drives plus 1 drive module to spare, comes in at about $1100--about 30% less than the Maxx system. Hopefully its worth it.

I looked a lot at the Sonnet Fusion D400QR5 also, but it was more costly still. The G-Drive Es or Q didn't appear to be a true hardware RAID 5, and was virtually the same price as the Maxx, so I crossed that off the list.

Julia

Return to posts index

Julia Brown
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:25:34 am

Hi Bob,
Wow, really? You'd recommend it? Only 4 hours ago I ordered a 8TB Maxx Digital evoVR RAID 5 array. The Stardom you mention, with four 2.0TB Hitachi 7K2000 7200RPM SATA drives plus 1 drive module to spare, comes in at about $1100--about 30% less than the Maxx system. Hopefully its worth it.

I looked a lot at the Sonnet Fusion D400QR5 also, but it was more costly still. The G-Drive Es or Q didn't appear to be a true hardware RAID 5, and was virtually the same price as the Maxx, so I crossed that off the list.

Julia

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:35:03 pm

Julia,

Should you have any questions on the STARDOM product, please feel free to drop us a line, either via email: jon@raidon-usa.com or by calling us at the number in my tag below.

Jon Schilling | Vice President of Sales & Marketing
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
http://www.stardomstorage.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:31:27 am

The Maxx Digital array is teriffic. I didn't think you would spend the money on it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50:00 am

Just curious, one year later, how the Maxx Digital evoVR has been? I have read about concerns (in particular from Bob) that the reliability of esata is flaky. Some of those comments date as far back as 2008... Maybe it's getting better?

I have been shooting weddings and events for some time and have been taking on a growing number of commercials. Managing all of my footage across two edit systems and a dozen or so external drives and internal 2TB drives that get plopped into Thermaltake BlacX docks is feeling risky. Not to mention trying to keep backups on 2-3 drives of media and projects becomes a chore. I need something a bit more professional/secure/automated. Raid 5?

As my business is growing I'd love ethernet SAN but know it far exceeds my budget. I am thinking the evoVR fits the bill but wonder about esata raid 5 reliability or if I should be considering anything else on the market?

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]