FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD RAID recommendations

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ewan Michael Riley
SSD RAID recommendations
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:00:14 pm

What SSD RAID options are there out there? Any recommendations? Most RAIDs I've seen online (LaCie, CalDigit, Promise) appear to be SSD, and some have the option to be upgraded to SSD, but what about a RAID with SSD already built in and ready to go?

Return to posts index

Sum Guy
Re: SSD RAID recommendations
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:22:48 pm

It's a bit hard to make a recommendation without knowing your intended use case(s)/setup.

Also unclear is what you mean regarding "appear to be SSD".

Return to posts index

Ewan Michael Riley
on Oct 6, 2016 at 9:10:37 am

Apologies, a typing error on my part. I meant to write, 'appear to be HDD'. In other words, there appear to be lots of ready-made RAID enclosures with multiple spinning disks inside, but what about an all-SSD RAID? I would assume the latter would be the fastest, most robust and inevitably the most expensive - so what is there available?

Intended use? Effects-heavy video editing, motion graphics and colour grading.

Setup?

Mac Pro
3.0GHz 8-core with 25MB of L3 cache
64GB (4 x 16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 6, 2016 at 1:36:44 pm

you buy an empty RAID chassis, from OWC, Areca, Highpoint, etc. and put in SSD drives. When you say "ready to go", do you mean "I am not going to sit there, and read the manual, and try to figure out how to RAID the SSD drives, I just want it READY TO GO, so I don't have to do anything, except plug it in and start working "
The answer to your question is nothing.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ewan Michael Riley
on Oct 6, 2016 at 1:57:46 pm

I mean 'ready to go' as in 'a RAID with SSDs already set up correctly inside the enclosure so that I just need to plug it in, set it up (which yes, would likely involve reading a manual of some sort), and start editing.' Such a thing doesn't exist?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 6, 2016 at 3:35:32 pm

yes it exists. You can't screw in the SSD drives ?

Here is the Other World Computing 4 bay SSD enclosure with the SSD drives pre mounted -
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/ThunderBay-4...

and on the other end of the spectrum, here is the Facilis with all SSD -
http://facilis.com/shared-storage-products/
the Facilis SSD8 is fully populated with eight SSD drives

the thunderraid can come fully populated with SSD drives -
http://www.maxxdigital.com/thunderraid2.html

the Promise Pegasus2 M4 comes pre loaded with SSD drives.

and therer are others - why not just buy an empty chassis and stick some SSD's in there, and same money ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ewan Michael Riley
on Oct 6, 2016 at 4:11:22 pm

Thanks for the information Bob, I appreciate it.

As a general rule I prefer my hardware to be set up by someone else (a qualified professional, no less) so that if something goes tits up I know who to hold liable.

If the SSD RAID I want looks to be prohibitively expensive, I'll either look into the DIY option you're suggesting or lump for an HDD RAID. It certainly looks as if the majority of RAIDs out there are HDD.

Return to posts index

singleton makin
on Oct 7, 2016 at 4:45:43 am

ok Mr Zelin
but what about SAS solutions for a mac 5,1?

i wss getting drooling here until another genius saved me early...

i didnt realize i cannot thunderbolt on my system even with a card...

but any pcie and ATTO card solutions? i need to be able to do 4K DCI
external housing? and are SSD possibke too?

my system has been upgraded to 12 core 3.0 GHZ
titan X with web drivers
os x 10.10
blackmagic design decklink pro 4K
eSata card for my lacie big4 raid and a g-drive 2TB both esata
(am i capped out at 3Gb or is it 6Gb without a Superman Atto FIX?
512mb Samsung Flash RAM for OSX....its smoking fast''''''

internal 3TB

much thanks

Singleton Makin
"observe the masses and do the opposite!"

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 7, 2016 at 10:44:42 am

Hi folks,

you can put ssds in a raid. Does it make sense? First of all a raid with normal HDDs is fast. It's fast enough to meet our specs. When you have the Atto 84en pcix card you can go with 1600 MB/s data speed.
The SSD option is not safer but terribly expensive. A 24bay raid with SSDs - no option.
You reach anyway the max. speed of thunderbolt connections or a pcix card together with a x16 slot.
My recommondation: The atto card in combination with a 8-24 bay Raid system Raid6 level an 4x8gb/s FC or thunderbolt connection. All with solid HDD's.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

singleton makin
on Nov 11, 2016 at 4:57:37 am

Rainer can you please email me again about this solution?
I am grateful.
I think you might have emailed me private but I am not sure.

I have the Mac 5,1 and I want to do this as frugal as possible.
I don't need SSD as u say…I could go HDD ,
I just need help in this card business like Bob Zelin told me….

Is there an ATTO card link? I mean as it is now I have eSATA card hooked up to my LACIE BIG 4 drives…I wanted to upgrade those HD as I only have 2TB max now….with four 500GB drives.
I know that I was told to buy from B&H lacie drives to replace these, but can't I just buy from Frys? or AMAZON drives and replace using the same CARTRIDGE or SHELFS that the 500GB are now mounted inside of?
This will give me maximum for my PHOTOGRAPHY STILLS needs on another computer that is eSATA.

But the MAC 5,1 I only have that one slot to replace and I need to have an EXTENTION CARD? is this correct? to house another PCIe not PCIX I have PCIe or whatever is FASTEST not THUNDERBOLT obviously in this setup…

to get 4K DCI playback on a timeline?

thanks for advice

singleton

PS- yes I have two systems….one eSATA can be for the eSATA LACIE BIG 4 and another gRAID eSATA drive those are for backing up media and PHOTO STILLS…not MOTION VIDEO playback at 4K DCI….but only HD I understand my limits…

but on this 5,1 computer I want to use the DECKLINK 4K card I have installed with the best RAID DRIVES….

Might I install INTERNAL DRIVES? to do this ? I only have one 3TB so far….but have nothing in the other bays….

or am I not understanding the PORT SPEED? MAX with this 5,1 computer…it is possible to playback 5K RED too? or ARRI I just need a ATTO card or solution to do this even if the EXTERNAL is RENTED on the DIT JOB?

thanks

Singleton Makin
"observe the masses and do the opposite!"

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 13, 2016 at 9:26:23 am

Hi Singleton,

first of all: What is a mac 5,1?
How many free PCI slots has your computer and what is the bandwidth of the slots.
This is important for 4k or above, because you need a breakout card and a decent raid to get it at work.
Both require a min. bandwidth of 8x for each PCI slot.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]