FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt on a PC?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Hawkes
Thunderbolt on a PC?
on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:01:35 pm

Anyone have any working Thunderbolt 2 or 3 add-on option out there? PCI-Express card or other?

You've Had Our Potatoes!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Thunderbolt on a PC?
on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:56:44 pm

No firsthand experience, but I can tell you that older PC's do not support thunderbolt cards, so you can't just throw a t-bolt card into just any PC you have. And, even if your PC supports t-bolt, you may not be able to find t-bolt drivers for the hardware devices you're looking to connect. Just make certain of both things before you buy...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Sep 14, 2016 at 10:51:04 am

Hi,

there are several solutions. One is:
ASUS ThunderboltEX II/DUAL - Thunderbolt-Adapter - PCI Express 2,0 x4 - Thunderbolt 2
As David mentioned, check tech specs carefully,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 27, 2017 at 5:35:38 pm

if your pc is on the newer side TB3 is a (potentially) cheap and (relatively) easy add on.

Find a TB3 motherboard that is compatible with your cpu. Both Asus and Gigabyte make a variety of motherboards with TB3. And they have cpu compatibility lists with the tech specs.

After swapping out your motherboard find the drivers that go with your TB hard drives or raid and you're up and running. And if you have TB2 drives you'll need a TB3 to TB2 adapter.

Return to posts index

Jake Hawkes
on Apr 27, 2017 at 7:33:40 pm

Thank you for this feedback! I'm up a creek with an older paddle it seems. Unfortunately I have a dual Xeon 3.6 machine that is loaded with PCI-Express slots but not Thunderbolt as an option. The cost that I have in this workstation would be prohibitted because I would have to brick the CPU's ($800 each), and the Mobo.

You've Had Our Potatoes!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]