FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts on the Drobo 5DT?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Hubbard
Thoughts on the Drobo 5DT?
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:55:01 pm

I realize it's very new, but I'm guessing it isn't too different from the 5D save for the upgraded thunderbolt. Any decent comparison reviews for this and Promise offerings or other solutions?

This would be for personal use as an editor, though our company is, slowly, thinking about getting some sort of server solution for everyone, about four editors at any one time with a few less demanding needs from designers and other staff, everyone uses new or newish iMacs. NAS would seem to be ideal for that, but until that's settled I'm in need of a fast, large, and redundant system for projects, the ~2 TB consumer externals just aren't cutting it. And of course I'm hesitant to drop a huge wad of cash on something that might be replaced in a few months by a server.

Thanks for any help, I know this is a pretty vague request with many possible answers.

http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/5dt/

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Thoughts on the Drobo 5DT?
on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:11:46 pm

The reviews on Amazon are not great. I'd suggest looking at the hardware from OWC, they specialize in professional Mac-based solutions for our industry, Drobo has always been known as a prosumer solution.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Travis Hubbard
on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:18:54 pm

Thanks, yeah, I noticed that, but two reviews complaining about speed without posting speed test results aren't very helpful, I tend to disregard one star and five star reviews anyways. The OWC enclosure has been very tempting, I'll look into it more. I've had good experiences with their ram and support so that's a plus. Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 24, 2016 at 1:57:56 pm

Hi -
why disregard 1 star reviews. Products of similar price range from QNAP and Synology are dramatically better products.
And other generic NAS manufacturers like Thecus and Netgear have been making dramatically better products as well.
Drobo seems to have one common goal, and it's not on performance. Make it super easy to use and setup, and keep the price as low as possible. So I guess if you are backing up family photos, this is a perfectly fine product (then why not use iCloud or DropBox at that point). For generic thunderbolt drive arrays, from companies like G-Tech, Promise, CalDigit, Maxx Digital, Lacie, etc., all of these are dramatically better than the Drobo. And let me assure you that if your company ever intends to use this as the center of a shared storage solution, the Drobo will ABSOLUTELY not work in this application.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Sep 14, 2016 at 11:10:31 am

Hi,

if you seek for professional advice, nobody in this forum will suggest a Drobo box.
I've never regretted the most expensive solutions, the cheap solutions have always been the most expensive ones,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Travis Hubbard
on Sep 14, 2016 at 9:07:07 pm

Thanks everyone, great input. I absolutely agree the cheaper option is usually the wrong one, I was just looking for a temporary relief.

We've just finalized buying a new space though and we'll be looking for a robust system for everybody. It's a large space and we've got a good guy who will be overseeing a network set up.

What we're looking for is a system that can handle 5-6 power users at once, at least four editors working in 4k with premiere at all times, and about 20 additional non-power users (owners, designers, audio, app developers) who would like to access and benefit from the system, though wouldn't need maximum bandwidth. I realize collaborative options for premiere are limited, but that's not a huge deal as long as we can all access the same files at high speeds, we don't do much simultaneous work on one project. QNAP, maybe the 8d, or Terrablock seems like the ticket. Would you recommend contacting them directly or are there other people more suited to building a whole system to consult? Thanks again for any help, I'm a huge fan of the cow.

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:35:41 am

Hey Travis,

Little late to the party on this one, but I think I can chime in on a few things that have not been said... To everything said, so far in this thread, yes, I totally agree with all.

If you need fast storage, and nothing more. Then you have mentioned two good options. QNAP is newer and just on the cusp of playing in the professional world, but I know a few people that have used it with success in professional editorial applications, it's not feature rich, but for sharing some HD files, it can be a great lower cost option. Facilis has been in that game a lot longer and will be able to offer higher performance, but you'll spend a good bit more and in my opinion, they have really not done much development at all to their product in the last 5 years, they are still running their systems on a Windows 7 OS, which to me is absolutely nuts and is a sign of not committing to moving your product forward.

That said, I am a firm believer in the fact that nearly every user I've been part of deploying shared storage with (well over 1000 sites over the last 15 years) needs 3 core things. 1) Shared Storage 2) Asset Management and 3) Backup/Archive capabilities.

There are a lot of reasons for needing all 3 technology functions. This is the reason I work at and push ProMAX Platform, as our whole existence is based on building all 3 core technologies into a single product. Regardless, I would recommend digging a little deeper into the various products on the market, almost all of the vendors that are in the facilis price range (SNS, Editshare, ProMAX) offer some of those required features beyond shared storage, which in my experience you will need.

Good luck and hit me up if you have any questions.

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems
nathaniel@promax.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]