FORUMS: list search recent posts

Set up Raid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Tranter
Set up Raid
on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:07:11 am

I use a Mac Pro for a number for requirements however the main speed and storage requirement is to use Final Cut Pro and film editing. I currently have a Pegasus 2 R4 system that I use as my data storage, only applications go onto my mac pro hard drive.

I use a 4 TB G-Raid hard drive as a back via Time Machine.

The back up, backs up both the Mac Pro hard drive and the 8 TB (4 x 2TB hard drives) Pegasus.

All has been working well though now my G-Raid is full and I am after some advice on what may be the next best move as a back up system and how to get the most out of my system giving optimal use of my current raid drive systems which are the Pegasus and the G-Raid.

In essence I need to have a larger back up capacity and I would like to if possible continue to use the G- Raid (G Technologies) hard drive.

Also an explanation of Raid Array and the various ways of setting them up that is going to be best for use of Final Cut Pro and editing, storage and back up of large files.

Appreciate any advice and guidance

Peter

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Set up Raid
on Jul 8, 2016 at 12:34:25 pm

I think you have a thunderbolt connection.

Your pegasus drive should work well for your editing capabilities. The R4 takes just 3TB drives.
Your max. storage capability is therefore 12TB, that means 9 TB with raid5 level.
To encrease your storage I would go for a 8-bay pegasus. You can go for a maximum of 6Tb drives, witch gives you an overall of 48TB, around 40TB with Raid5.
You could use the R4 as backup. Keep the G-Raid for timemachine.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Peter Tranter
Re: Set up Raid
on Jul 9, 2016 at 1:05:56 am