is there anyone out there who has done any testing or has experience with:
1. Mac Pro (classic) / OS X (Mine is a MacPro,5.1 i.e. 2012 Mac Pro)
2. Areca ARC-1883 Series RAID card
3. Sandisk Lightning 12Gb/sec SAS SSD (I am testing Lightning Ascend Gen II 1.6TB SSD)
I have currently got my Mac Pro (1) running with Areca ARC-1883LP (2) using MaxConnect internal cabling and cradle solution with 1 Sandisk Optimus 6Gb/sec as boot drive (using Areca "Pass Through Disk") and 3 x HGST Ultrastar 4TB / 12Gb/sec SAS drives set up in RAID-5 configuration for storage.
I have recently offloaded a lot of what was on the HGST RAID-5 disk onto a seperate Apple Xserve File Server (which also has an Areca ARC-1883 Series card in it) and so was testing to see if I should set up Sandisk Lightning SSD RAID setup as working system with Xserve managing bulk storage.
1. Cloned the Optimus boot disk to Lightning (using "Carbon Copy Cloner" on Xserve setup which has a Lenovo SA120 6Gb/sec DAS connected to it)
2. Installed Lightning disk back into Mac Pro, and rebooted machine off seperate SATA boot disk (also a clone of Optimus boot disk)
3. Reconfigured Areca to set up Sandisk Lightning SSD as "Pass Through Disk", which then result in it being available again.
Problem is that the Lighting appears briefly in Finder and then keeps spontaneously "ejecting" as Areca 1883 "Pass Through Disk" configuration keeps "disappearing".
I did some testing and found that if I only have Lighting installed (i.e. HGST RAID disk removed) then "Pass Through Disk" is stable and I can successfully boot of the Lighting SSD, but ever time I re-add the HGST raid disks, the Lightning "Pass Through Disk" become unstable and keeps vanishing....
Has anyone had any similar experience ?
Has anyone successfully set up a RAID set of Lightning Ascend Gen II (12Gb/sec) SSDs with Areca 1883 series card.
I had no problem with Lightning SSD when connected to external Lenovo SA120 (6Gb/sec) DAS enclosure, so am wondering if this has something to do with 12Gb/sec connection or potential power issue related to MaxConnect cradles & cables.