FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 5, ATTO R380, MacOsX EL capitan, Crash

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ivan zbiral
RAID 5, ATTO R380, MacOsX EL capitan, Crash
on Jun 10, 2016 at 10:47:10 am

Hello !

My RAID 5 system crashed, firstly it started to disappear from MacOsX, after going to ATTO Config tool there was one disk degraded. I therefore used rebuild function. The process started and after a while the RAID again disappeared from OsX (from desktop). Now I can only see RAID through config tool and it claims one disk is degraded and the other faulty. If I try to rebuild it doesn't allow (invalid command). Is there a way around or is this one of those grief moments where I lost everything? I can post pictures of the config tool for better understanding. Any help is appreciated.

Thanx

ivan zbiral
cyberucho@volny.cz

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RAID 5, ATTO R380, MacOsX EL capitan, Crash
on Jun 11, 2016 at 3:18:06 pm

no sir - there is no fix for this.
I have found this to be a common issue with both the R380 and R680 cards from ATTO.
In a RAID 5 configuration, the second you lose a second drive, you have lost all of your data.
I have learned my lesson the hard way, with this card, and when I have to use an ATTO RAID controller, I always
create a RAID 6 array. I realize this seems crazy with only 4 drives (I usually have 8 or 16 drive arrays), but
what you are experiencing is a very common occurrence with both R380 and R680. To my knowledge, there is no fix.

What is sad (and you will find out soon enough) is that when you take the "faulted" drive out, and test it independently, you will probably see that there is nothing wrong with this drive. The ATTO card, for whatever reason, just declared this faulty during the rebuild process. I have unfortunately gone thru what you are going thru now, many many times.

Future lessons that I learned the hard way -
1) backup your data to other drives - always (or LTO).
2) always do RAID 6

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

ivan zbiral
Re: RAID 5, ATTO R380, MacOsX EL capitan, Crash
on Jun 12, 2016 at 8:36:12 pm

Hello Bob !

Thank you for your reply. I assumed the ATTO card being one of the better cards, preferred for videographers. Would not expect this. Tomorrow I am handing drives to professional rescue service to get a quote for saving the data. Meanwhile I am after a new external box to accommodate 6-8 drives. I am thinking of actually building the external box myself, as all available solutions are too expensive or unreachable (located in EU, excessive shipping etc). I have ATTO R680 on the way.
Any suggestions are welcomed. As you suggest I would use RAID 6.

Thank you

ivan zbiral
cyberucho@volny.cz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]