FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raid 5 slow read performance

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Stuckey
Raid 5 slow read performance
on May 11, 2016 at 7:52:48 pm

I have a 16TB Rorke Galaxy 3G Raid Array. It’s a 16 bay drive with two 8 disk arrays both set up Raid 5. The issue is the extremely slow read speeds (transferring files from the raid). For example a 30 gig folder takes over an hour to transfer to another mounted drive (60MB/s or worse). Write speeds seem fine. This isn’t a new issue, I’ve just been dealing with it for a while. I’ve finally been able to clear the drives and rebuild the Raid, but the issue remains. Read Policy is set to ReadAhead, Write Policy is set to WriteBack. Stripe size is 64KB, Sector size is set to 512Bytes.

I ran the Blackmagic disk speed test and it shows 192MB/s read speeds, but this is not the performance I'm seeing when trying to move files from the raid. The Array Manager says everything is operating OK.

Anyone have any ideas? I know Raid 5 has slower read speeds, but this seems extremely slow.

Thanks!

Doug

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Raid 5 slow read performance
on May 12, 2016 at 9:20:14 pm

there are two people that can help you .

1) Caen Engineering
714 456 0800

2) Scale Logic
855 440 4678

You are not going to get free support for this. You should throw that antique in the garbage and buy something new.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Doug Stuckey
Re: Raid 5 slow read performance
on May 16, 2016 at 9:46:07 pm

Thanks. I'm talking to Scale Logic. They're being helpful even though this array isn't supported any more. I found a couple drives with multiple bad sectors. And they suggested rebuilding the raid with fewer drives to see if eliminating certain drives might help performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]