FORUMS: list search recent posts

Q-NAP TVS-682T with SSDs?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
Q-NAP TVS-682T with SSDs?
on Apr 22, 2016 at 1:29:10 pm

Would the new Q-NAP Thunderbolt NAS TVS-682T paired with 4 of Samsung's 16TB SSDs in a JBOD arrangement be a viable (and awesome) setup for a small workgroup?

Yes, yes I know - it would not have the RAID protection. But nightly backups to a set of hard drives would be adquate for me. Especially since the media doesn't change that frequently and project files(which do change frequently) are stored locally with Time Machine backups. Plus, I'm thinking 1 of 4 drives would fail a lot less frequently than 1 of 16.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Q-NAP TVS-682T with SSDs?
on Apr 22, 2016 at 4:35:20 pm

you will spend $8000 for four of these SSD's. Plus the QNAP, plus the 10G switch, plus your 10G adaptors.

Why not just buy the QNAP 871T with normal SATA drives. You will get a wonderful system, that can feed your entire workgroup. And it will be cheaper. I have never used the Samsung 16TB SSD, but I can tell you that four SATA drives (not SSDs) are not fast enough for a shared storage system.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 22, 2016 at 9:30:25 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Apr 22, 2016 at 9:34:53 pm

Costs now are actually probably more like $20,000 for 64TB of storage. Yeah I think price point wise for at least the next two years it won't make sense. I do believe at that point SSDs are going to become more commonplace than platter drives. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the move from our GB Ethernet NAS to this. I would think response would be much zippier. I'd have to move up to the 8 bay version with an 8 bay extension to keep the space I currently have with 4 TB drives, although I wouldn't mind doubling it.

Main workstation on TB, two secondary workstations on 10GB, and remaining utility computers on 1GB. Do I need a switch?

Are you comfortable with any 8TB drives on the market now? What drives would you put in it?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:44:25 am

yes you need a 10G switch. It's $1500 bucks. And 8TB drives work great.
I do this all the time. It works great. You just have to know the correct setup.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:07:26 pm

It seems like the QNAP unit has the ports to do it without a switch. Are you telling me it can't be configured to operate that way - NAS to workstation straight run? Or it doesn't work as well as getting a switch? Not that the switch would break the bank. It's just more hardware sitting around.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 23, 2016 at 5:31:04 pm

it has four 1g ports and 2 10G ports, as well as 1 Thunderbolt port that can be used for direct attached storage. Yes, if you configure the subnets correctly, you do not need a switch for a small workgroup

contact me if you need help with the setup

bob zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 25, 2016 at 1:31:26 pm

Definitely. Just budgeting at this point. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Branson Destra
on May 16, 2016 at 5:32:32 pm

Hi Bob (and Brett),

I came across your thread while I was researching a related issue. Would you happen to know how to share a QNAP TVS-863+ NAS that's connected directly to a workstation via 10Gbase-t, to a network that is connected to the same workstation via a separate 1Gb NIC?

So basically the connection diagram would be NAS <--> workstation <--> LAN, with the workstation as the intermediary. I've mapped a volume on the NAS as a network drive, but there doesn't seem to be a way to right-click and share as with other volumes.

Any ideas?

Best,
Branson

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Apr 27, 2016 at 12:33:15 pm

Western Digital Enterprise 8TB drives would be recommended, but check with Qnap to see
What they suggest.

Jon Schilling
Sales and Marketing

GB Labs
23890 Copper Hill Drive -Suite 103
Valencia, CA 91355 - USA
e-Mail: Jon@GBLabs.com
Mobile: +1 661-495-8641
http://www.gblabs.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 21, 2016 at 4:26:50 pm

Do you mean HGST 8TB He8? or WD 8TB Gold?

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on May 23, 2016 at 8:54:23 pm

Whatever the Enterprise class is.

Jon Schilling
Sales and Marketing

GB Labs
23890 Copper Hill Drive -Suite 103
Valencia, CA 91355 - USA
e-Mail: Jon@GBLabs.com
Mobile: +1 661-495-8641