FORUMS: list search recent posts

shared storage

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Braverman
shared storage
on Feb 29, 2016 at 12:34:29 pm

Hello! I'll be setting up a small editing lab in an educational setting in Europe, and I could really use some input on storage. There will be 8 stations running Adobe creative cloud, mostly using premiere for video editing of documentaries. We'd like to do a local storage solution, one shared storage system in the lab, partitioned for each student. We do NOT need to provide for multiple users to access the same footage at the same time. Each user will be working on their own unique footage. We'd also like redundancy of footage, in case one drive goes down. We'll need to handle about 100 total users per year, about 20 at any given time, that will need about 30 GB each of storage. We plan to wipe the entire thing clean once a year, moving some footage to the cloud to archive. Students will shoot XAVC (possibly 4K) on the Sony x70, and we're also planning on getting some 70D's.

Any suggestions on the most affordable solution that would meet our needs would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Braverman
Re: shared storage
on Feb 29, 2016 at 2:33:55 pm

ALSO: all stations in lab will have current fastest iMacs available, to be purchased this summer

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 29, 2016 at 11:26:58 pm

you state -
8 stations running Adobe CC
and then you state -
20 at any given time -

so do you have 8 computers connecting to the shared storage, or 20 users connecting to the shared storage -
do you have shifts of students that will use the computers 8 at a time ?

30 gigs per user is hardly anything. 4K media takes up a lot of space.

Are they all sharing the same media, or do all 100 users all have different media ?

Why don't you just allocate 20 (or 100) folders - so that each student gets their own folder (if you intend of having different media in each folder).

Since you say that they are NOT going to be using this to have multiple users accessing the same footage at the same time, wouldn't this be easier and cheaper to have 20 or 100 drives - each student gets a 1TB drive. Why do this, and add all this complexity, if you are not going to share the media.

Usually, someone shoots a show (a sports event, a concert), and then everyone edits that media to make their version of the show. If everyone has their OWN media, and has no intention of sharing, why not buy 20 (or 100) drives - one per student. It's cheaper. And easier to maintain.

You need to be specific - it doesn't matter if you have 20 users or 100 users. You need to say "I am going to have 8 iMac computers, that all need to connect to a single shared storage system, with 24 TB or 48 TB (or whatever) of storage.

Then we can make suggestions.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Braverman
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:42:24 am

Thanks for your reply!

That's correct, 8 iMac stations, so only 8 users can access at any given time. I mention 100 users per year since we'll wipe the storage clean once a year, so we need to be able to accommodate 100 users' footage at most at a time. I estimate each user will store on average 2 hours of footage.

Thanks for the note on 4K--do you have an idea of how many GB an hour of XAVC 4K footage takes up? Not sure they will shoot 4K right away, it may have to wait until we further expand storage in the future.

As I mentioned in my post, they will each be working with their own unique media that they shot. They will not be accessing the same footage. So yes, we could allocate each a folder or partition.

We are definitely considering the option of allotting students individual drives, especially if it's going to be significantly cheaper. That doesn't provide redundancy and back up as a raid could (as I understand it), and letting the students handle the drives creates greater possibility of user error, and therefore may be more difficult to maintain and service, though based on your comments that may not be the case. In the past the institutions I worked with required students to purchase their own drives. Here we want to provide storage, and are looking for the best way to do so, that will be easiest for us to manage.

Again, thanks so much for your input! I hope I've provided specific info, please let me know if I can provide anything further.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]