FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is cloud storage a viable option for 10TB?? What are my options?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon
Is cloud storage a viable option for 10TB?? What are my options?
on Dec 21, 2015 at 1:28:30 pm

Hi guys - I posted a question a few days ago, but then realised i'd put it in the wrong section, apologies, and i'm not trying to spam CC, but think I might have a bit more luck here...

I've been doing a bit of an internet search, and have also skimmed the CC forums, and although there's some options, I wanted to run the question past the community before committing to the time and $ required.

I am a independent filmmaker currently 1.5 years through an adventure, surfing my way from Alaska to Patagonia on a motorcycle. Shooting on Sony A7s and Canon 5d. Roughly another 5 months left of the adventure...

Anyway, I anticipate that by the time I sit down for the edit, I may have about 8 TB of footage. I've been double copying the external drives and sending them back to my brother in Australia who is looking after them for me.

However, I just had 3 hardrives fail on me in the last month!! Crazy I know, but the motorcycle/adventure lifestyle is not kind to electronics - luckily they were blank to begin with.

I want to upload the existing TB's up to the cloud, somewhere secure, with up to 10TB of storage.

I am just wanting to use it as a final backup, a plan B, a 'everything else has gone to sh*t, so I need to download all my footage from the cloud' option.

I do not want to edit from the cloud, in fact I don't really want to ever download it again, I just want it backed up one last time as a last resort - i've worked so hard for all that footage.

Value for money is also a factor for me, I havn't had an income for 1.5 years whilst on the adventure! But of course, am willing to pay if the free ones don't hold up...

I've read about Chinese web servers giving away 10B or even 36TB, but the feedback seems mixed at best.

Should I be looking at a different solution rather than cloud? Solid state drives sound good, but 10TB will send me broke!

Anyway, I just wanted to see what the filmmaking community thought, rather than the comments section of just another tech blog.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt Hannon

http://www.slowburningdreams.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Is cloud storage a viable option for 10TB?? What are my options?
on Dec 21, 2015 at 3:04:54 pm

It's possible but The upload speeds might be your bottleneck on the road. It will likely take too long to upload, in most remote locations . But It might be a fun way to meet other filmmakers in these various countries who might be able to get you to a location that has high speed uplinks , for example universities. I would still try ruggedized drives, perhaps look into the LaCie or g-tech ruggedized models.

Al

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
Re: Is cloud storage a viable option for 10TB?? What are my options?
on Dec 21, 2015 at 3:20:37 pm

Thanks Al!

Yeah the Lacie drives work well too, and perhaps I just need to buy one of their 10TB externals instead of bothering with cloud storage....

I forgot to mention that my brother will be the one uploading the footage from Australia, not me from the road, so that makes that angle plausible, but it's whether or not its even a viable option.

What do other people do when backing up large projects with high shooting ratios??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]