FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing drives and then reconnecting?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Richards
Removing drives and then reconnecting?
on Oct 9, 2010 at 7:00:30 am

Hi all,

I have a RAID 0 setup; if I disconnect the two drives in that setup, replace them with two other drives (that I need to securely wipe), reboot from a flash drive, run the erase utility (CopyWipe) and then reconnect the original two hard drives, will all my original data be intact?

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question, I'm fairly new to RAID and on this system the RAID controller seems to kick in irrespective of what device is set in the BIOS to boot......and I don't want all my data disappearing!

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Removing drives and then reconnecting?
on Oct 9, 2010 at 8:42:57 pm

CopyWipe ? What operating system are you using ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Richards
on Oct 10, 2010 at 6:39:08 am

Windows 7.

Yes, CopyWipe sits on a flash drive but on this system the RAID controller kicks in before anything else, spends about 15 seconds analysing the attached drives and then the boot sequence starts.

I don't want to disconnect the drives and lose everything when I reconnect!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 10, 2010 at 12:48:33 pm

you need some basic training with Windows. The Microsoft Disk Manager is how you mount drives on a PC. You right click on My Computer, then you click on Manage, then you click on Disk Manager. When you plug in new drives, or want to stripe them, you use the Disk Manager to create a "stripped set" which is RAID 0. When you unplug these drives (with power off) and then plug in your original set of RAID 0 drives, they will not appear all by themselves. You boot up with your old drives connected, click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Manager, and you will see your drive set in the window list, shown as FOREIGN. You right click on this, and say "IMPORT FOREIGN DISKS", and in 5 seconds, they will mount on your computer, and you are back in business.

This is a standard Windows practice, and there is no other magic trick with PC systems to get your drives to mount any other way.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Trott
on Dec 12, 2012 at 5:41:26 am

Thank you!

You solved my problem! I had replaced my boot drive and had to disconnect the RAID card before Windows 7 would install. I didn't notice the "Dynamic" and "Foreign" in the Disk Manager until I read this post. I did as you directed and it's all back and running.

Again, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]