FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use one Raid enclosure for multiple hard disk arrays?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Barnes
Use one Raid enclosure for multiple hard disk arrays?
on Nov 12, 2015 at 10:05:05 am

I couldn't find the answer to this after searching old posts. Can I use one raid enclosure, then take out all the disks, label and store them, then insert a new set of disks, format them and use as a 'new' RAID? Then, at some point, put the old disks back in and have them function normally with the old data? In other words, use one enclosure to house multiple RAID sets. Would there be any issues? Hardware? Software? Thanks a lot!!

'It's not a question of becoming. It's a question of uncovering what you really are, of letting everything that is not yourself fall away'. - Journey to Ladakh

I think this applies to editing as well....

Ken Barnes, Producer, Director, Editor
http://www.blissmonkeyfilms.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Use one Raid enclosure for multiple hard disk arrays?
on Nov 12, 2015 at 1:41:21 pm

That's not an issue. Just make certain to number the drives so you are certain to replace the drives in their proper slot, as some RAID controllers are quite specific about drive order.

Also, before buying new drives, check to make certain your RAID manufacturer does not require you purchase lreplacement drives in sleds from them, as most do, and at a significant premium. Who is the manufacturer?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ken Barnes
Re: Use one Raid enclosure for multiple hard disk arrays?
on Nov 12, 2015 at 3:11:34 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's an OWC Thunderbay 4. I bought the unit as an enclosure only so they don't require their own drives. It has a 'tray' for each drive but I can swap them over to the new drives as well.

Best,

Ken

'It's not a question of becoming. It's a question of uncovering what you really are, of letting everything that is not yourself fall away'. - Journey to Ladakh

I think this applies to editing as well....

Ken Barnes, Producer, Director, Editor
http://www.blissmonkeyfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]