FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need a raid and how much will it cost?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Steele
Do I need a raid and how much will it cost?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 7:30:27 pm

Hey guys,

I am just starting up video editing again. I just got a RED Scarlet and am about to get a new computer for it but I am still going through a lot of debate about the whole storage situation. I am spending about $3500 on my PC and am near the limits of my budget. I guess what I'm wondering is, what would be an estimated cost to set up a raid? I am probably looking at somewhere around 4-8TB of space. I would also like to have backup. I know there is endless debate between which type of raid to use and in the end I am wondering if I will really even need a raid or not? Can I just start off with say a 4TB mechanical drive such as a WD black, along with a Samsung 512GB SSD for my software etc, and then maybe use an external drive for a back up? Any recommendations you can give me would be great, thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Do I need a raid and how much will it cost?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:37:07 pm

If you have to ask if you need a RAID, the answer is almost invariably YES! And, even if you don't ask, the answer is almost invariably YES! In your case, since you mentioned that you're shooting on a RED Scarlett, the answer is emphatically YES!!!

And, less you get yourself in the position of falling into the trap of "false economy," which invariably leads to purchasing twice, just bite the bullet and purchase an 8-drive RAID array. Whether you have to rob a bank, or just borrow money from that bank, just do it. I promise, you will thank me profusely for years to come if you do, and you hate yourself if you don't.

If you need a great deal, I can arrange that for you, as I consult for several of the best manufacturers... However, as of now, my top recommendation is the G-Tech Studio XL. Price it anywhere on the Web, and I'll beat it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Peter Steele
on Oct 31, 2015 at 12:51:22 am

Yeah Bob, my "crew" consists of my brother and I right now. We are only doing independent projects so unfortunately we are doing everything at the moment. But since the projects are smaller scale it is manageable for the time being.

That being said, David, after buying the Scarlet and lenses and everything else that goes with a RED, and now trying to finish up buying my computer I definitely am short on funds in regards to the storage. You did mention robbing a bank which may be something I will have to consider...

The problem is I am pretty new to the whole idea of raids. I know that raid 0, 1, 5, 6 and 10 seem to be somewhat common for editors, but I don't totally know what the raids actually consist of. Is it just a few drives and a raid controller? I don't know the details.

I think you make a good point that I don't want to buy cheap and then have to re-buy later. That is why I am wondering if I can just start with maybe something like a 4TB internal mechanical drive to supplement my 512GB SSD just while I am getting off the ground and then later try to save up for a raid?

You mentioned you could get me a deal, but the cheapest G-tech I found was the 24TB for 3000$ which is quite out of my range right now. So unless you can shave like 2500$ off that I might need to look at some other options. What do you all suggest?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 30, 2015 at 10:07:14 pm

Peter -
I am very confused by your post. You said that you just got a RED Scarlet. So are you a cameraman, or an editor ? Don't you have friends, or associates that edit ? Isn't the project that you are involved with complex enough, that you are SO BUSY shooting, possibly directing, lighting, dealing with actors, locations, etc. that you need to worry about editing the project ?

Being an editor, being an audio guy, being a graphics artist is a full time job. These are all unique careers. Are you doing EVERYTHING, including shooting, directing, lighting, casting, editing, graphics, audio, and encoding for delivery ?

You just bought an expensive camera. How about getting some guys together (or gals) and having them edit with their equipment ?
Let them buy the right equipment. I understand that you ran out of money.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:14:49 pm

Peter,

Give me a call. So we work with G tech and RED as a part of a triangle of business. We sell hard drives and a storage solution that has RED interfaces with G tech technology. I think that or maybe a couple of other options could work for you. With it all being at a price that will suit you.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 9, 2015 at 3:02:43 pm

Hi Peter,

yes you do need a raid. I would go for a 8 bay raid with raid level 6, like David recommended. Bob's advice is a good one, but heads in a different direction, worth considering.
You need to do back-up on a seperate HD.
Don't go for soft raids, go for a decent one - even when it seems to be expensive in the first place.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Peter Steele
on Nov 10, 2015 at 9:34:00 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think at this point I am leaning towards just doing a Raid 0 with 2x 4GB WD black drives and then doing an external drive back up through a USB 3.0 port. I know that probably doesn't meet the standards being proposed here, and I wish I could, but right now I think this is all the budget will allow and I really need to get started on things so I can't really afford to wait until I can afford a bigger raid system. Maybe I can upgrade it in the future...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 10, 2015 at 9:45:55 pm

Two 6g drives striped as RAID 0 will give you approx 400MB/sec. Do you know exactly how many MB/sec your Scarlett is set to record at? Before buying anything, let's do the math so you know exactly how many streams you'll be able to edit.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]