FORUMS: list search recent posts

Meta Tags and Quick Retrieval

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yehoshua Malachi
Meta Tags and Quick Retrieval
on Oct 20, 2015 at 4:24:32 pm

Hello everyone. Sorry if these questions have been answered in another post, but I'm honestly not sure of the questions I should be asking, so I wouldn't know it. Any help or direction you can give is greatly appreciated.

I'm curious about meta tagging and retrieval for video files. How might someone effectively go about meta tagging and organizing video files so they are quickly searchable by multiple users? Are there any best practices or conventions for doing this?

Lastly, how do the big boys do it? For example, ESPN is broadcasting a live game. Within seconds of the commentators talking, corresponding footage is being shown. How are they doing this?

Thanks again,

Yehoshua Malachi
HiMalachi.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
Re: Meta Tags and Quick Retrieval
on Oct 20, 2015 at 9:36:56 pm

Hi Yehoshua,

A few things to keep in mind...

There are two types of Metadata
1. Structural
2. Descriptive

Think about these and be aware of them. Structural would be details on the file (extension, size, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.); descriptive is well... descriptive (customer, red shirt, bike, etc.)

How you organize it will depend on many many factors, including everything from how many users will access it, to how much training and management you plan on putting into the system.

Unless you are a larger organization, with MAM I urge you to keep it simple. More often than note I recommend you force yourself to 2 Structural Fields and 3 Descriptive Fields. Beyond that is where I see user adoption drop off quickly.

Hope this helps.

Nathaniel Cooper
nate.cooper@promax.com
(949) 861-2725

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2015 at 11:35:58 pm

Hi -
wrong forum -
look at the CatDV forum.

And consider products like Axle Video, as well as Cat DV (and yes, ProMax has asset management, so does AVID with Interplay, which is possibly what ESPN is using).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Yehoshua Malachi
on Oct 21, 2015 at 12:36:04 am

Thanks for the info Bob. I'm new to Creative Cow and didn't realize there was a more appropriate section for this post.

Is there a way to move this post to the CatDV forum?

Thanks,

Yehoshua Malachi
HiMalachi.com

Return to posts index

Yehoshua Malachi
on Oct 21, 2015 at 12:32:20 am

Thanks Nathaniel,

I guess asking further advice would be difficult without more information.

Right now we are a small team of tech savvy editors and GFX artists creating high volume, short-form video content. End product has a short shelf life, but the footage will last much longer. I'm hoping to create a content library with the footage.

We are expecting to grow to around 100 editors over the next 3 years - with a team for ingest. Once we're rolling, ingest will handle training and asset management.

Do you have any advice for things we can do now to help set us up for the future?

Yehoshua Malachi
HiMalachi.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Oct 21, 2015 at 10:48:19 pm

Can you give specifics on
- What are 3 or 4 examples of information would someone want to search by to find a video?
- How will the video be used once they find it?
- Will it only be internal staff (editors/artists) that needs to search?

Also, I'm curious, if you are a small team (assuming that means 3-6 in the team) why/how would you be expanding to 100 users in a 3 year period? Would all of these users be creative staff? Also, would everyone be in a single location or will these users be spread out geographically?

Kind Regards,

Nathaniel Cooper
nathaniel@promax.com
(949) 861-2725

Return to posts index

Yehoshua Malachi
on Oct 26, 2015 at 5:15:29 pm

Nathaniel,

Thanks again for your reply.

We are in digital signage and interactive media... Or rather, moving that direction. As we shoot projects, the idea is to create a content library we can draw from in future projects. I foresee frequent use of this system.

To answer your questions:
-All users will be in the same building.
-The 100, or so, users will be creatives needing access to footage.
-content will found, and copied over to a local array or HD where the project will be edited.

Examples of searches might include:
-boy, Asian, running with balloon
-farm, corn, aerial, combine
-man drinking dark beer outside

Of course, this is how I search, but I accept it might not be the most intuitive for others.

Thanks,

Yehoshua Malachi
HiMalachi.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Oct 29, 2015 at 3:53:05 pm

Yehoshua,

If it's all internal and all creative department I would emphasize keeping it simple. Let your creative team stay focused on creative, if you try forcing them into spending 10 minutes entering metadata a couple of times a day, you'll have difficulty with adoption. There are a few systems out there, ProMAX (which I am partial to ;), Axel and CatDV are probably the most 'simple' that are media focused in our space.

If you decide you want to get into a lot of automation, complex metadata options and integration with whatever signage/delivery workflows you have, you can also look into something like a Dalet. However, the level of complexity with skyrocket.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Nathaniel Cooper - ProMAX Systems
nathaniel@promax.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]