FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-Raid in RAID 1 with exFAT Parition: Assitance Needed

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris golio
G-Raid in RAID 1 with exFAT Parition: Assitance Needed
on Aug 18, 2015 at 4:07:22 pm

Hello

I am looking to setup an 8 TB G-RAID (2x removable) Thunderbolt 2 drive(s) in RAID 1 with exFAT format.

I want to set the drive up in RAID 1 and mirror each 4 TB drive.

I am attempting to do this on a MAC and the only options I have through both the G-Tech configuration and MAC Disk Utility for RAID 1 formatting are:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled)

MS-DOS (FAT)

I formatted the RAID 1 config in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then added a single 4 TB partition in exFAT format.

I confirmed that the exFAT volume will mount and can be viewed on both MAC and PC. However I am nervous as to whether the RAID 1 array is really working this way?

This drive will remain connected to a PC for its primary use but I will initially and then occasionally be connecting it to certain MACs. While attached to the PC, I want the drive to be able to be viewed by MACs on the network.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: G-Raid in RAID 1 with exFAT Parition: Assitance Needed
on Aug 18, 2015 at 4:57:20 pm

Are you hoping to configure the RAID in the manner you described because you're a DIT working on-set, or are you wanting to do things that way for some other reason? And, are you planning to edit from the RAID in this new configuration?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

chris golio
on Aug 18, 2015 at 9:07:35 pm

Hi David,

I am not on set nor am I planning to edit from this setup.

I am merely using this drive to house various finished media formats and project archives which i want to be accessible and / or streamable on my network.

Main purpose is for media share. Occassionally a video or audio editing program might access an archive from the drive on its host machine or over the network but its not the main purpose. Most of the time the archive would just be moved to a desktop from the RAID.

I am planning to consolidate media from several different machines (mac & pc) and prefer to connect the drives directly for this as opposed to transfering over my network.

Im confused as to whether the array will be sucessfully mirroring with the Journaled Raid config and an exFAT partition format.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 18, 2015 at 9:25:32 pm

[chris golio] "Im confused as to whether the array will be sucessfully mirroring with the Journaled Raid config and an exFAT partition format."

I understand why you're confused Chris, that config is fairly complicated. If I were you, I'd stick with a RAID 1 config for either Mac or PC, whichever is most convenient for you, and I'd skip the whole exFAT partition concept, simply moving files to whichever machine you chose for the RAID via a portable drive formatted with exFAT.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

chris golio
on Aug 18, 2015 at 10:12:29 pm

Thanks again for the assistance and taking the time to reply several times.

As long as I could still have this drive hooked up to a PC and have its content, able to be viewed / played / opened on MACs on the network, then I would be okay using a 2nd exFAT formatted drive to consolidate media to the G-RAID.

Would this be the case?
Other Macs on my network could still read / write to a NTFS formatted RAID 1 drive?

And David, do you have any insight into whether the exFAT partition I created already is successfully mirroring to the second drive in the RAID 1 config, even thought the config was Mac OS extended (Journaled) format?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 20, 2015 at 1:42:25 pm

Kind of complicated Chris with lots of variables involved, and too tough for writing back and forth here. Feel free to contact me privately and we can discuss on the phone. You can reach me at 310-seven two nine-7906.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]