FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overall Computer Set-Up // RAID // Adobe Premiere

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kees
Overall Computer Set-Up // RAID // Adobe Premiere
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:12:30 am

Hello,

I'm brand new to the forums so please forgive me if I've misfiled this or done anything incorrect. I was curious what you guys would think of my current computer set up and if you thought I should change anything, thank you.

Here is my current set up:
Mac Pro 1,1
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon (Quad Core)
OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks
13 GB of RAM
(Or it should be, it only registers some. I'm working on that problem)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2048 MB
[specs here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-2.66-specs...

The Mac has 4 internal 7200 HDD's each 500GB.
I've done a RAID 0 on 3 of the 4 drives.
The remaining drive only hosts my OS and applications and the occasional desktop item drop.
The 3 drives that were put into RAID 0 host all of my video & project files. This includes all of my raw video files, captured video & audio, video & audio previews, autosaves, file saves, and cache.

Here is some of my thoughts:

- I have a 1TB external USB drive that I'm thinking of using as a time machine backup because of the RAID 0, but the Mac only has USB 2.0.

- If I do the time machine back up I'm thinking it would only be for the RAID drive.

- Should I move the cache to the OS drive

- Would a FireWire to USB connecter work to increase my external drive to speeds faster than USB 2.0

- With FireWire 800 would an external drive be faster than an internal drive

I have three 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drives and one 100GB USB 2.0 drive.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Overall Computer Set-Up // RAID // Adobe Premiere
on Aug 6, 2015 at 1:29:36 pm

Hi James,

Raid0 is no option. The problem with internal raids is the heat!
Over the years it will burn your computer. So go for an external raid.
13GB RAM? - no good

- I have a 1TB external USB drive that I'm thinking of using as a time machine backup because of the RAID 0, but the Mac only has USB 2.0. - Good for back-up

- If I do the time machine back up I'm thinking it would only be for the RAID drive.

- Should I move the cache to the OS drive - possible

- Would a FireWire to USB connecter work to increase my external drive to speeds faster than USB 2.0 - no

- With FireWire 800 would an external drive be faster than an internal drive - no

I have three 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drives and one 100GB USB 2.0 drive. - back-up

What you need is an external Raid - at least esata with a minimum of Raid5 protection.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]