FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Drive Dock Issues

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chas Smith
External Drive Dock Issues
on Jul 20, 2015 at 10:20:34 pm

While it's not a RAID, I thought maybe this forum might be a good place to ask: Recently had Seagate Drive issues, long-story short: wound up having to reinstall Win7Pro (and everything else -- UGH!). Replaced Boot drive with a SanDisk 240GB SSD...works fast! :)

But.... my External EZ Dock eSata/USB HD setup is giving me fits. I've been retrieving archived raw-footage to rebuild the lost Vegas edits, etc. I copy from the EZ-Dock files onto another (New) Seagate HD on the PC for editing. Seems like during the process, the EZ-Dock HDs (I've tried different HDs mind you) seem to go along ok and then...HANG UP! :( I've enabled all drives to cache. Keep things clean but dang if I know why this is happening. The eSata connection is good, all drives are connected good. Running 24GB Ram on ASUS X-58 Sabertooth Mobo, Intel 7 / 2.8ghz CPU... so no bottlenecks there.

Got a tech-email out to Kingwin makers of the EZ-Dock. Searched forums ...no real luck so far. Can't imagine all these Seagate SATA3 HD's are messing up all at once. Any ideas anyone?

Chas

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: External Drive Dock Issues
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:36:47 pm

I may be wrong, but I'd bet you anything that you're overfilling your hard drives.

How much free space (by percentage please) do you have on the offending hard drives?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Chas Smith
on Jul 21, 2015 at 11:53:22 pm

Thanks for replying to my post. Some drives are about half-full, I have one 1.5Tb drive that has about 400Gb remaining. One drive that was acting up won't even show up on MY COMPUTER window... it just shows a F: but no longer has the capacity status. I know it had under 500Gb on a 1.5Gb Seagate drive.
When I click on the PROPERTIES, it shows it fully blue (loaded) and that's impossible.

Not sure what to make of all this. I've quit using the eSata port and am using USB 2.0 which seems to help. I have two drives that launch "Check Disk" dialogue. I've run only one but after Check Disk funs, it says "Not enough space" to repair / recover. This drive is 1.5Gb and has 300Gb unused space.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 22, 2015 at 12:13:52 am

If you were on a Mac there's an app I'd recommend, but alas you're not. Not that I prefer Macs BTW, just that there are many more really good free apps on that side.

Another thing to consider is your internal power supply... If it's no longer supplying the necessary juice to all your internal components you'll get many strange errors on your workstation that can present themselves in a number of different ways, such as disk errors.

The power supply in your drive dock may also be faulty... hence the issue with the eSATA port possibly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Chas Smith
on Jul 22, 2015 at 12:25:45 am

Thanks again for the reply. I haven't considered the power supply as a possibility. It's an ANTEC 620 watts so it's big enough but it might be a cause to consider. I'm just wondering if the eSata port or maybe even the cable is the issue as the USB connection works without fail. Slower but at least it's working. I'll see if I can get a spare eSata cable and go from there.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]